VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have seen my other thread - just agreed to buy a T5...felt fantastic yesterday. However, today I'm feeling a bit nervous and I may have rushed in too quick - the problem is that buying a van is a bit different to a normal car and while I thought i'd covered all the bases i may have missed one...eeek.

It's a converted T5 - proper job done but not sure who by. It's got sink, running water, fridge, hob, RnR bed, cupboards, hook up, leisure batt and safe but it is apparently still a van on the DVLC docs. It's also styled a bit with alloys, a bit of chrome (grill and door handles), Alpine head unit and rear spoiler. It has sliding windows in the door and opposite.

My main worry now is it insurable, as what and how much? It is a van on the docs but I don't want to insure it just as a van....but it is not a camper on the docs. I beleive i can ask DVLC to modify the description to a camper and I think it fits the criiteria but that will no doubt take time and cost.

So, anyone know whats the best route forward (apart from walking away which I dont want to do as I love the van), but i can't afford extortionate insurance as it is a non-standard vehicle?

The other thing which is a ####### is that we're going to Scotland to stay with friends in a chalet on a campsite in Feb - their rules stae in big letters 'no commercial vehicles allowed on site', so while I was looking forward to the trip in the new van it looks like I'll be in the wife's shopping cart as we can't take the risk of being turned away.

Not much I can do about the snobby campsite but any thoughts on insurance/reclassifications etc really appreciated while I still have only my deposit to potentially lose. :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't worry, none of it is an issue.

First off, insuring it as a Motor Caravan is probably cheaper than insuring it as a Panel Van. Ring some brokers, I use Insurance Choice, and explain the situation. Most will find you a policy that will allow you a grace period to get the V5C updated by the DVLA to change the body type from Panel Van to Motor Caravan.

The DVLA bit is easy too, you simply need to update the appropriate sections on the V5C and send it back, including a cover letter explaining why you'd like the changes made and include photos of the appropriate bits of the van that show it has been properly converted. The stuff they're interested in:

1) A fixed (i.e. non-removable) bed. One that converts to night/day use is fine
2) A fixed table. Again, if it folds away, that's fine.
3) Fixed storage units
4) Fixed cooking facilities
5) Side windows in the back
6) Running water/sink

Assuming they're happy with the conversion, they'll send back an updated V5C. There's no charge.

And as for the camping trip, if yours looks like a camper then they'll be happy. They're not going to want o see the registration docs before they let you on site. What they don't want is people rocking up in a battered Ford Transit with a mattress in the back...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - that makes me feel better!

I'll contact some brokers tomorrow morning and hopefully not get too much of a shock.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Seen the posts about the DVLA, but if you're not sure what to do from the website just give them a call. I did and found them very helpful. Sure, you have to tick the right boxes as previously mentioned but I had no issues and the insurance was cheaper than a panel van.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Good post IHN

You could take the vehicle along to your local DVLA office: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/MotoringContacts/DG_10012974 along with your V5 and lots of photos. By doing that if your change of use is refused you may be able to get a visual inspection and persuade them to reconsider a decision.

When you take photos make sure you photograph everything carefully from different angles and include bed mountings, tap running, gas lit etc ..anything that makes it look convincing.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just realised i put this thread in wrong place...sorry.

As an update - without the converter's name this is proving to be problem to get an insurance quote for...!! AAARRRGH.

it's a Catch 22 I think, I can't get decent insurance to drive it away this week while it is a converted van, but i can't get it listed as a camper without getting hold of it and doing the photos etc with DVLC - but do I want to close the deal with so much unknown hanging out the end?.
Other thing is if it has gas, electricty and water but I can't prove it was done by an approved converter, do I need to get that tested/approved by a known name to get the insurance/DVLC?

I know this my fault and I do wish I'd done my homework more thoroughly..... (tempted to put a rude word here but won't).

:bhd

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Way Hey! Day's just got better. Having phoned 5 brokers today the first three were exceedingly dimissive but last two have actually come up trumps! Footman James and Scenic both quoted - I gave them all the details and the mod'ed wheels so completly as it should be. BRILL!

.....but what a day of ups and downs!

·
Registered
670 Posts
It's not insurable...how would the previous owner be driving around in it!

Mine is a fully converted camper but still registered as a panel van on the V5. Insured with Adrian Flux, and didn't have a problem at all with the process.

And also, visiting the site where it says 'No Commercial Vehicles'. The only fuss they may kick up is if you are planning to sleep in it, and not be paying? Some Caravan Club sites frown at pick-ups going on them now! Where you going anyway as I am up in Grantown in February in mine!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be honest - dunno yet how he insured it....poss as a van. Adrian flux where one lot who said no go to me and they were the ones who spooked me as I thought they would go for it.

Still, not so worried now as I've got insurance and it's all legit.

Roll on Saturday when I get it....!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Its a nightmare..... we collect our new van on saturday and want to spend the next 12 months doing the conversion in stages, every insurance we have rang are quoting silly money or that the conversion from van to camper has to be completed in a day !!
Tried the usual
HIC, Brentacre, Adrian Flux, Insurance choice

Can anyone suggest anywhere to try...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The two that worked for me are Footman James on 0843 357 1331 and Scenic on 08450 131624. Scenic was someone I was forwarded onto by another company. Having said that, I have had to confirm that i have running water, fixed 6 foot bed and cupboards so i don't know how they will treat a 'work in progress' conversion. From what i've learned over the past couple of nightmarish days you might be best going for van insurance until you have some permanent fittings?

However I found both of these very helpful and reasonable prices - even with alloys that I valued at £600.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The two that worked for me are Footman James on 0843 357 1331 and Scenic on 08450 131624. Scenic was someone I was forwarded onto by another company. Having said that, I have had to confirm that i have running water, fixed 6 foot bed and cupboards so i don't know how they will treat a 'work in progress' conversion. From what i've learned over the past couple of nightmarish days you might be best going for van insurance until you have some permanent fittings?

However I found both of these very helpful and reasonable prices - even with alloys that I valued at £600.

Good luck!!
Thanks looks like we will be going with Brentacre, £519.00 any mod no charge per mod and we can do anything apart from tune the engine....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi all, picked up my 2004 T5 in november, insured with SureTerm for £264, and given three months to convert to camper. I'm 37 with 2 years NCD.

I done the same with my T4 last year, with sureterm, gain purchased as panel and given 3 months to convert.,

Sureterm seem to work well for me.

Thanks

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts