VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Banned
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Just a note to ask if anyone has ever experienced my latest issue.

Have a 1.9 T5 55 plate panel van, usual mods, seats windows alloys and stainless bars, had a bulgarian truck hit me whilst i was stationary on the dreaded M25 as he was rubber necking another crash...... Anyhow, had the repairs done to my T5 and the repair shop stitched me up..... They notified the underwriter that the vehicle was a camper (Wrong) and they told them I had modified the following:
1. Alloy wheels
2. Side bars
3. Windows
4. Custom paint job?

Anyway the insurer has simply cancelled my insurance (No fee imposed) and the broker claims I have to pay the outstanding £158 in premiums....

The question is, can they do this? The underwriter simply states the policy is now cancelled but no fees are due but the broker is trying to rip me off.

So, the story goes, the broker wont give me my proof of no claims and the underwriter said the claim which they are willing to handle will take approx 2+ years to solve due to it being a foreign trucker?

How the HELL am I supposed to get insurance now? I cant prove No claims and the twots are trying to stitch me.....

Sensible advice is welcomed....

Beware....... if you have modified in anyway your van as they will cancel without delay.....

JFDI needs help........:*

·
Banned
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be honest and say that NO I hadnt as I honestly thought that it wouldnt make any difference as they are only alloys and stainless bars...... I can understand it if you are sprucing the engine up but just coz my van is dead clean the twits said it was a custom paint job?

The question is, if you put a window in your bus this doesnt make it a Kombi, it is still a panel van which is what it says on V5...

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Sorry mate,any insurance policy asks for details of modifications,more fool you for not declaring..I have no sympathy at all

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sorry mate,any insurance policy asks for details of modifications,more fool you for not declaring..I have no sympathy at all
A bit harsh! but fair. All insurance companies ask whether the vehicle is "non standard" in any way.
You gave them an easy excuse to refuse the claim.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Sad days but as said if you don't declare you may as well have no insurance in the first place-shocking fail my friend :eek:
you live and learn

·
Registered
364 Posts
yeah no need to be like that lads , although they always do ask if its modded ,and you should declare any mods no matter how small , some compaines dont mind a wheel mod or a couple of mods , best way is to have modified ins ,its prpobably doesnt make a diff to premium much but they will get out of paying if they can in the event of an accident, not sur what you can do to be honest , i always keep previous ncb proofs, dont you have any form your previous insurer ?

·
Super Moderator
5,187 Posts
Some people have a nice attitude to others who are only asking for advice:(

I am insured with Brentacre and have declared all my modifications.

How many years ncb are you going to lose JFDI?

Might have to start again bud and lesson learnt to all really.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Contact the insurance company and ask them for a copy of your no claims bonus, I assume you were paying for your insurance by installments to the broker, if that is the case you will still owe the broker any outstanding payments as you effectively "borrowed" the money from them to pay for your insurance. You should then get a refund from the insurance company for the balance of your outstanding premium.

If you make any changes to your vehicle you must inform the insurance company.

·
Banned
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know now that even attaching a tow bar makes it a modified vehicle as does putting a different size tyre on from what was fitted from new. BUT I am sure there are many many of us on here that dont notify absolutley every single modification.... including putting in a new stereo :no

The point I wanted to make was that we all should beware and be cautious when modifying....

Next time I will ask for help exclusively and not opinions but thanks anyway and happy new year to you.

T:T:T:T:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Come on fella, no need to kick the fella while he's down..

Why should he have his cake and eat it,i have to declare all my mods as do everybody else,rules is rules and although i hate the blood sucking insurers they are well within there rights for cancelling

·
Banned
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Contact the insurance company and ask them for a copy of your no claims bonus, I assume you were paying for your insurance by installments to the broker, if that is the case you will still owe the broker any outstanding payments as you effectively "borrowed" the money from them to pay for your insurance. You should then get a refund from the insurance company for the balance of your outstanding premium.

If you make any changes to your vehicle you must inform the insurance company.
Great advice, thanks for that, much appreciated. T:

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Ha'way don't kick a lad when he down . It's not the crime of the century . Hopefully things will get sorted T:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
yeah no need to be like that lads , although they always do ask if its modded ,and you should declare any mods no matter how small , some compaines dont mind a wheel mod or a couple of mods , best way is to have modified ins ,its prpobably doesnt make a diff to premium much but they will get out of paying if they can in the event of an accident, not sur what you can do to be honest , i always keep previous ncb proofs, dont you have any form your previous insurer ?
You will not find any insurance company that "dont mind a wheel mod", all insurance companies will either increase your premium or as I have found will not insure at all.

Please advise me if you know of a company that will allow mods without any increase.

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts

Compassion may not be your strong point. But you don't drop marks on accuracy.

Unfortunatly insurance companies are in business to make money. Therefore they can and will refuse claims and or cover if you aren't 100% transparent in any details you give them. If you miss something as big as alloys windows and sidebars they're gonna crucify you.

Sorry fella but your fubared and they can and most possibly will bend you over and grease you up. Your best bet is to relax as much as possible and brace yourself:*

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Ha'way don't kick a lad when he down . It's not the crime of the century . Hopefully things will get sorted T:
agree-unfortunately it happens-sadly!

Happy new year fella-be wiser next time bud T:

·
Banned
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some people have a nice attitude to others who are only asking for advice:(

I am insured with Brentacre and have declared all my modifications.

How many years ncb are you going to lose JFDI?

Might have to start again bud and lesson learnt to all really.
Well I had 7+ no claims but of course there is now a claim which is going to take an absolute age to solve.... Ironically I was on my way to our Bluewater meet when it happened....

Will try Brentacre and Adrian Flux in morning for re-insurance.....

(good to see the facelift Jay, it looks dead smart).

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Really sorry to hear this bud. But you should have declared all mods.
I was insured with aviva i think, told them i was adding alloy wheels thinking no worries. The wasters only tried to add £250 to my £300 policy. I cancelled and went to Brentacre. Not fussed on engine mods, just want the van to look nice.

Its a tough lesson to learn. Happy new year:ILU:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts