VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have just bought a used German import LHD T5 and am in the process of insuring it.
The insurers want to know whether it has a security system.
I doubt the previous owner would have retro-fitted an alarm; so does anyone know what category the standard T5s come with?
Many thanks in advance for a prompt response, as i need to insure ASAP.
Regards
Roger

·
Registered
294 Posts
Because its an imported vehicle they won't recognise it the same as a UK spec. That's why they are asking if you have anything else retro fitted to it. From what you have said it sounds like you haven't. as you would have an additional tag or remote on your keys. The vehicle you have will have an immobiliser as standard, but not what's known as a Thatcham recognised one. In light of this it is likely they will want as a minimum an aftermarket immobiliser installed to it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why wouldn't the immobiliser be recognised as Cat 2? If it has the VW factory immobiliser then the same unit is fitted to the vans made for the UK.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Fundamentally the same, but there can be small changes in software and hardware. Only the UK intent vehicles get evaluated.
Its a shame but any import is an unknown.

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
No, that is incorrect! Category one is for full alarm/immobiliser systems. Category 2 is for immobiliser only systems and this is what the T5 has unless fitted with the full alarm option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts