VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part1 Renewal Timescale

1) How long before your insurance becomes due would you think it appropriate to receive a renewal notice? How long would be reasonable to shop around, receive alternative quotes, assess them and decide whether to renew or to change insurers? In assessing a reasonable period for shopping around etc do bear in mind that many people are not able to make or receive telephone calls during their working hours.
2) Do you consider it acceptable for an insurance company to say that if they do not hear from you within a few days they will automatically renew and take payment from card details given to them the previous year?

Recently received a renewal notice two weeks before the renewal date and which also said that that I had just one week to notify them if I did not wish to renew otherwise the renewal premium would be taken from card details supplied last year.

Not very happy with these business practices. Are they common to all insurers? What do others think?

Part 2 Alternative Quotations

Part 1 invited comments on the renewal timescale imposed by insurance companies. Having felt pressured into just renewing previous years I was determined to be ahead of the game this year and invited alternative quotes in advance so that they would be already available when the renewal notice arrived.

Mine is a reasonably standard situation viz a standard T4 with a standard Bilbo conversion driven mostly by self but occasionally by wife or adult daughter. To ensure comparability all the information insurance companies usually ask about the vehicle, its use and the drivers was all set down in writing. This was then e-mailed to those companies where I could find an e-mail address or pigeon posted to the others. Quotes were requested by e-mail or pigeon post since I am frequently not able to take phone calls.

The results of this shopping around have been both surprising and disappointing. Of the nine companies contacted - all of whom have featured on this forum

1) Could not send enquiry by e-mail to four of the companies since they only publish a telephone number and a postal address.
2) Four companies did not acknowledge or respond to the enquiry at all.
3) One company claimed to only be a comparison website and did not do quotes. Not clear how they compare quotes - they had all the info.
4) Two companies would only quote if I telephoned them. Why? They had all the info they needed so why not just quote?
5) Only two respectable quotations received both by e-mail but both required that I telephone if I wished to take up.

Why this emphasis on telephone rather than any other form of communication?

In a former life I spent many years in a contracting environment, issuing enquiries, receiving quotations, assessing them, placing contracts and administering them to completion. A golden rule throughout all these years was that everything must be in writing. This I would regard as normal standard business practice.

Why is it therefore that insurance company’s go out of their way to make it as difficult as possible to follow this standard practice and try to force the use of telephone? Would any of the insurance company reps on this forum care to comment?

When the renewal notice from previous insurer finally turned up was pleasantly surprised to find that the premium requested was £40 less than last year. No idea why since no change in NCD as have been on max for several years. Renewal quote was also appreciably less than the two new quotes so just took the easy option and renewed.

Next year if the requested renewal premium gives cause for concern I will know which two companies it could be worth contacting. Will also know to take any comments on this forum about the others with a large pinch of salt.

Alleygater

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What governs when the New Post Pages are updated? Vaguely thought it was when they got up to about 20 pages but is it actually daily irrespective of number of pages? When is the optimum posting time to start a new thread to get max readership / feedback before it gets consigned to respective section? Above New Post was added at 1329 and was up only 14 minutes before being moved to insurance section (Last post on present New Posts timed at1343) Several other posts added in morning only received very short exposure also. Can anything be done about this?
Alleygater

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
This thread was posed in the Insurance section and has not moved fella?

Best time to post, not sure but if it's an interesting post that people know the answer to or can interact with, then depending on how many are on-line it doesn't take long to get a response T:

I can only assume people see a mass of text on your first post and click on the "New posts" button at the top :*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts