VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I've got a T4 panel van SWB 2002. It's just a bit of fun and sits in the garage in the winter and comes out from April to about October each year and covers about 1200 miles in that period.

I'm 50 and have full no claims on my main car and three years on the van.

I just picked up three points last year SP30 and £100 fine but apart from that no claims, convictions or accidents ever.

Admiral quoted £276 but then bumped it up to £398 when I reported the 3 points.

APlan in Thatcham said that they were looking at double the £276 so about £550.

I'm based in Windsor SL4.

It's just a van that does 1200 miles pottering about so how come it's £550?

Any pointers gratefully received!

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Hi there

I've got a T4 panel van SWB 2002. It's just a bit of fun and sits in the garage in the winter and comes out from April to about October each year and covers about 1200 miles in that period.

I just picked up three points last year SP30 and £100 fine but apart from that no claims, convictions or accidents ever.

Cheers

Mark
Try emailing Dan Cameron direct rather than just accepting the APLAN quote

e:
[email protected]

·
Registered
182 Posts
I remember when getting quotes for my teenagers cars that once you went below around 5000 miles a year the quotes went up not down . Might be worth checking that!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Having written that a few hours ago I’ve just read in today’s newspaper that it’s true. If you do less than 5000 miles you can be charged hundreds of pounds more than if you drove 12000 miles a year! Maybe look at pay per mile insurance the article says

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
What you are doing wrong is driving a van! Vans are vastly more expensive to insure than cars or even camper vans as I found out when I bought my Kombi 6 years ago until it was converted and then the premium dropped by more than 50%. Same vehicle, same driver, same annual mileage, same no claims but by then much higher value up from £24,000 to £37,000 doesn't make sense.
But its all based on statistics and risk. So always shop around and get numerous comparisons at every renewal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all - I'll try increasing the mileage and also getting in touch with Dan at A Plan. Will report back any improvements....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just tried changing the mileage and sure enough the sweet spot seems to be 4000 miles. It's not so much that the quotes get cheaper (they do) but that it opens up more insurers. Down to about £366 now. I'll have to drive it work for a few weeks to get the mileage up but it could do with being used anyway so not a problem and more economical than my car anyway. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just tried changing the mileage and sure enough the sweet spot seems to be 4000 miles. It's not so much that the quotes get cheaper (they do) but that it opens up more insurers. Down to about £366 now. I'll have to drive it work for a few weeks to get the mileage up but it could do with being used anyway so not a problem and more economical than my car anyway. Thanks for the advice!
These mileage based insurance policies specify a maximum ... not a required ... annual mileage. No need to raise your mileage to what you limited it to.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
WhiteT4 , you could try a broker who does NFU policies. They do a Classic Vehicle Policy for vehicles over 15 years old.
There is an annual mileage limit , 3K or 5k I think, but this was by far the cheapest deal I found when I shopped around last year.
Mines a 2003 white T4 !

804 Posts
Hi there

Cheers

Mark
Hi,
Have you tried ourselves for insurance at all?
Regards,
Dan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WhiteT4 , you could try a broker who does NFU policies. They do a Classic Vehicle Policy for vehicles over 15 years old.
There is an annual mileage limit , 3K or 5k I think, but this was by far the cheapest deal I found when I shopped around last year.
Mines a 2003 white T4 !
Thanks - I did try NFU direct but no answer - will try again and/or find a broker.... ta

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ultra clean driving licence and decades of no claims. Mature model driver!!

Adrian Flux last year on 2012 T5 with 88 BHP works van with windows £440

A Plan this year £275 and that includes prospective remap and lots of other mods, a dream to deal with.

Adrian Flux were not great or as helpful as I thought they would be. Obviously stung me last year as they could. Quote this year was £100 lower than they charged last year for same just window spec. Why?

Had calls from AF days ago chasing me for a new price they had sent me???? Why not email? Just arrived.....Couple of quid less than original and arrived snail post 1 hour before my existing was to run out!!

All a bit sloppy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
I use BG insurance (Barrie Griffith) they’ve beat everyone I tried. I’m 55 clean license, no convictions, one claim on my work van. My van does around 2k miles a year and I have full no claims on the camper. It’s a T5 1.9TDI, camper on logbook and I pay around £150 fully comp. I have a HU postcode in East Yorkshire. They often let me pay in two or three instalments at NO extra cost.

20 Posts
Hello WhiteT4,
If you haven't already, feel free to give me a call and I can see if we can help.

Hopefully you are all sorted now though.

Dave

·
Vendor
102 Posts
Hi WhiteT4,

If you're still in the market for a quotation, please either call me direct on 01792 650933 and ask for Ben, or PM me with your contact info, and Brentacre would be more than happy to try and sort you out with a competitive price.

T::)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts