VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am ready to get my van officially classified as a camper, I thought I would get an insurance quote before I went ahead. tried both Doleman and Stuart, both company's will not insure me as the internal height of my van is below 1.8M.

Does anyone have a T5 without a poptop insured as campervan, if so, who with?

At the moment I have spent thousands of euro on my van and I wont be able to insure it, that's not even counting the evil VRT

Any other advice greatly appreciated, sorting all this out is making my head melt!

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
:) In the past I have used Bentacre (Under writer Markerstudy) and am currently with Adrian Flux (Under writer Equity Red Star) but am due to renew at the beginning of December.

I have a modified T4 with full camper interior and registered with DVLA as Motorcaravan. (internal height less than 1.8m)

I have NOT had to make a claim on either policy so couldn't comment on service after the initial quote and setting up of the policy.

Chris

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hello Mancdel,

mightn't be much use to you in Contae Sligeach but I'm with this outfit:

http://www.kerrgroup.co.uk/

They at least do Campervan/Motorhome but it might be just Norn Iron.

I tried Dolmen who are Dublin based but do cover all Ireland but wanted me to join some Motorcaravan club for a bit of discount but I couldn't be ar5ed.

Kerr group were excellent to deal with. You don't have to take their recovery insurance if you don't want it but I got it offa someone else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi there,

I had the same problem last year and I had to join the Motorcaravan Club of Ireland to get insured, they obtain insurance from Allianz but you have to purchase it through a Richardson Insurance Brokers as they are the only one the club deals with. Check out the club website for the details and if you have an other questions pop up a post and I will try and help.

One thing to remember, I tried to insure my daughter who is 19, full licence, no points, claims or convictions, named driver on another car policy and NO ONE would insure her on a campervan because she is under 25.:confused:

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Steve.

·
Registered
441 Posts
as far as i know ,its through the motorcaravan club and richardsons as steve has said. cost 70 euro a year to join,they will send acessor to look over the criteria of the van,and then its roughly 350 per year. hope this helps you. cheers, carol.

·
Registered
441 Posts
hello all, just want to put out some feelers and see whats what about insurance, specifically in the republic of ireland. There are 3 companies who will insure campers, allianz, axa and aviva, all through brokers, of these only allianz will insure vans without a pop top as the others want 1.8m internal height, incase they get sued for banging your head!! The allianz is only run for members of a motor caravan club,which is 70 quid to join on top of the insurance premium.no join,no insure
Question, is there any company from the uk who would be willing or able to offer insurance for vans in ireland withou the need for pop tops, which cost min €5000 to install here!! Carroll Nash do insurance here but not for vans,also any one living in the north of ireland can insure with the 3 companies here but we cant use uk companies???? any representatives on here from insurance companies wish to get on board??? cheers carol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the reply's. I did some more research on this and as Steve said in his earlier post, the only way to obtain insurance as a campervan with a tin top is through the motorcaravan club of Ireland. I came across a few exceptions but mainly people who did a lot of business with a particular broker or knew the right person etc. I will be doing this soon so I will let you know how I get on.
Big thanks to Steve for the advice on the club.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You're more than welcome, I love this forum, everyone tries to help each other, so much info and so little A:

If you're ever in the Kingdom and need help give me a shout, safe driving,

Steve.

·
Registered
39 Posts
"You're more than welcome, I love this forum, everyone tries to help each other, so much info and so little A:"

spell check removed my word, I'm sorry :(, edit: horse manure :D

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there, is this thread still open :) I'm in the same situation. Finally I decided to register as a Campervan my T5 (Pistacha). I was talking with the engineer and motor tax office and all is ok, I almost payed when I realised the Insurances want 1,8mt. That's incredible, the motor tax accepted but not the insurance companies. Any advise? btw, the point that you have to be with morotcaravan club is at least excessive if not illegal. I understand the number of campers in Ireland increase enough to join us and change things here.

Thoughts? Thanks guys and sorry for the tone of this post, I spend to much time and love modifying the van to find that finally I can't go thru.

Regards,
Tacho

·
Registered
441 Posts
hi, its still the same story. use motorcaravan club. the policy is very good. then you will get to enjoy the fruits of your labour. happy travels.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi there, is this thread still open :) I'm in the same situation. Finally I decided to register as a Campervan my T5 (Pistacha). I was talking with the engineer and motor tax office and all is ok, I almost payed when I realised the Insurances want 1,8mt. That's incredible, the motor tax accepted but not the insurance companies. Any advise? btw, the point that you have to be with morotcaravan club is at least excessive if not illegal. I understand the number of campers in Ireland increase enough to join us and change things here.

Thoughts? Thanks guys and sorry for the tone of this post, I spend to much time and love modifying the van to find that finally I can't go thru.

Regards,
Tacho
Just wondering did you get sorted in the end?
My conversion is still a work in progress and not even sure if I can get it insured.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Have you tried UK based insurers? I’m with a plan and mine cant be registered as a camper or motor caravan. It’s got a pop top bed and Caravelle rails and seats, they insured me and a valuation tooT:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes I believe Dan from Aplan put out a message saying they can still insure those that failed to get the DVLA to reclassify.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm through justkampers (hertz is the actual insurer) , not strickly a campervan but they insure me with the motor caravan add on, basically contents insurance for my camping stuff.

You do get a 10% discount on the store stuff, iv'e been ordering loads of panels and the prices and shipping have been super fairT:

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Just wondering did you get sorted in the end?
My conversion is still a work in progress and not even sure if I can get it insured.
In the Republic of Ireland, there is only one campervan insurance that will do vans without the standing height and that is the Motorcaravan club of Ireland. They will require their own engineer to inspect the van, to insure, that it's a good quality conversion and not just a removable box in the boot.

So it would be best, if you engage with them, as to their requirements.

If you have a high top or pop top, there are lots of choices. Dolmen, Stuarts, Autoline and a good few more.

/M

·
Vendor
102 Posts
Hi all,

I'm sure you've all seen by now the changes to the DVLA conversion criteria. I just wanted to say, that at Brentacre, as long as we can see that you've put the work it to make it a Camper, we will treat it as such regardless of what the DVLA say!

We understand how difficult it's been lately to change it with the DVLA, but we'll cover it like for like, regardless of what the DVLA "opinion" is.

WE know it's a camper, YOU know it's a camper, so we'll insure it as a camper! Even if it's a work in progress, we don't have any restrictions or time windows, you do what you want, when you want, as long as you update us on the work as it's being done, just so that it's all covered.

Best part is, we don't charge any mid-term fee's or admin charges to update your modifications throughout the policy term!

Feel free to message me if you need a quotation, and we'll be more than happy to get your camper covered T:

Cheers,

Ben

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Feel free to message me if you need a quotation, and we'll be more than happy to get your camper covered T:

Cheers,

Ben
Ben .. that's all fine and well, but PLEASE check where the Op is in the world and in what part of the forum you are posting in.

This thread has become completely cluttered with UK responses, that are completely useless to the question asked.

- The Op, who started the thread 3 years ago is in Co. Sligo. In the Republic of Ireland.
- The person who revived the thread a few days ago specifies Ireland as their location and replied to a post from last year, from a person that is in Cork .. in the Republic of Ireland.

- AND ... this thread is in the Irish Regional Forums.

A bit of common sense and taking note on where you are about to post go a long way in actually helping these posters instead of plastering them with information, that is completely irrelevant for them.

The DVLA rules DO NOT apply to the Republic of Ireland. All we need is a rigidly fixed cooker, a bed (which can be converted from seats, if you wish so), a table (which can be removed, if you wish to) and storage compartments. End off. Insurance wise, the Republic is a different mine field.

/M

1 - 20 of 25 Posts