VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys - does anyone know where i can get cheap insurance for my t5. its been converted from a panel van to a kombi - its had 3 seats added to the back, windows added, alloys, chrome roof rack, chrome wing mirrors and chrome step rail.
at the moment every quote i get is for around £1,000.00 a year! which is crazy! if i had a normal kombi straight from the factory it would be half that! and if i convert it to a campavan again its around half the cost!

I want to keep my van a kombi but not have to pay a huge amount for insurance! any advice out there! eg - dvla or sending photos

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
brentacre,we have the same as you,converted van with windows and seats,just over £500 fully comp.:D:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Im with the NFU,they insure part conversions and alloys...I pay 330 om my 03 t4 multivan,with full no claims,with the nfu they insure ur trailer/caravan free as well

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you guys - I'll give it a try.

the insurance companies were saying that because I had added seats, windows and wheels not all companies will go for it. and the ones that do are expensive.

they said that if i had 1 or 2 out of the three it would be cheaper but all three are expensive.

I'll try these companies and see what happens.

cheers!

·
Registered
208 Posts
theres a whole section on insurance in the community section that i found really helpful for modded vans, yes most is for t4s but the companies do t5s

·
Registered
16 Posts
i had similar shocks, going from a 325i BMW to a 1.9 diesel van and the premiums quoted where mental. Ended with Adrian Flux with windows and seats declared for about 600. still bloody dear in my book but there you go! at least they understand the hobby thing with the vans unlike the mainstream. good luck! will defo try nfu myself when renewal comes around!T:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have been with HIC (herts insurance) for the last 2 years, coming in at about £300 for VW camper insurance. Only suitable if your van in converted (must have sink, cooking facilities and bed)

I am 26 and have about 6 years NCB and only do 6000 miles not for commuting or business, however many companies were quoting £800+ or refusing insurance as it is a 9 seater on the log book.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts