VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Yellow Van Man
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VW T4 ex AA van's insurance has come up for renewal, and it has gone up for the second year in a row despite not having made a claim and having 7 years no claims. I am now faced with a £360 premium (£460 with break down cover).
I have tried several insurance companies, but cannot even get a quote as my van cannot be fully classed as a motor home, but due to having colour coded bumpers, alloy wheels, lined and a full-length rock and roll bed, is considered to be modified.
I am currently with Just Kampers and have tried to get quotes through, Caravan Club, Adrian Flux and Sure Term Direct.
Could somebody advice me on how to get cheaper Insurance on a van with a few modifications, but is not a full camper?

·
Registered
686 Posts
i got my insurance for 150 through hic, declared mods and told em the mods im planning too, wheels, lowering, windows, sidebars and full rnr bed in the back :)

·
Yellow Van Man
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Not sure why HIC are giving me a quote for over double this. I'll do a bit more phoning round and try Brentacre and Tesco as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just tried getting an online quote from Tesco, because my private number plate starts with a T and the year of manufacture is 2003 it's throwing a wobbler telling me the van doesn't exist.

Life's too short to mess around calling them, on to the next quote I:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
am with hic fully comp agreed value and full ncb under 25 which dont help they qouted me less than what your paying including breakdown etc

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just did a search on Comparethemarket.com and Moneysupermarket.com, got to very different quoted form Gladiator insurance despite entering exactly the same information, one for £350.00 and one for £248.00, not really confidence inspiring :confused:

·
Yellow Van Man
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went with Brentacre in the end. The premium was a little cheaper, but with no admin fee and changes to my breakdown cover, I managed to get my insurance down by £100.

It is also worth noting that Brentacre do not charge an admin fee every time you make a modification.

I think I was also lucky to come through to a knowledgeable rep who was also into VWs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts