VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Somebody stop me!
11,968 Posts
As penbryn said. Not much point in an engine so limited. The Yank 1.9 TDi boys do it but only when they are pushing past the 150bhp mark and the standard tdi intake starts to restrict things. Save your money bud!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It'll improve airflow into the engine which should up the power when combined with more fuel
I think you are looking at this from a petrol-engine point of view - remember a Diesel engine is throttled by fuel not by air/fuel mixture. In a Diesel - only the fuel is varied to change engine speed. The same amount/mass of air is always entering a Diesel engine for a given throttle setting.

Furthermore, as the 1.9TD engine uses forced induction (ie. you are not relying on the physical and flow characteristics of the induction tract to ensure adequate aspiration of the engine), the size and volume of the inlet manifold will have little if any effect. Why do you think that the inlet manifolds for the ABL, AAZ, 1Z and AFN engines are all more or less the same size? If you want more air mass - fit an i/c and turn up the boost. You will have to go a long way as Jimmy has pointed out before you would need a bigger manifold, and after that you will be restricted by size of the inlet ports but I think you will see meltdown before you reach those dizzy heights.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,968 Posts
It'll improve airflow into the engine which should up the power when combined with more fuel
The stock intake will flow more than enough for a 1.9td bud. You can only make around the 100bhp mark anyway so couldn't use the better air flow. I would put your money towards an AAZ pump and a Rover TD boost pin, much better bang for your buck (i know i had one and it was bonkers) T:T:T:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.