VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got a nice letter in the post 'notice of intended prosecution' and it states that I am being done as...
Recorded at a speed of 61mph ( this was on a 60 mph road)
The reason 'vehicle is restricted to 50'

I registered my 'van' as a motorhome / camper in august this year (which it now states on V5) and had assumed that the speed restriction was lifted to the same as a regaular car or MPV. Here's soem info http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-speed-limits.shtml

Dispute? Ok it leaves me 1mph over the limit but arent I then allowed 10% ? :*:confused::(

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Don't wait for it to go to court and waste everybody's money. Contact them and tell that you think their records are not up to date, and that your vehicle has been re-registered as motorhome or whatever, and explain why you think they are wrong. If you are right then the case will be dropped, if you are wrong they will tell you why...... Job jobbed!

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
So got a nice letter in the post 'notice of intended prosecution' and it states that I am being done as...

I registered my 'van' as a motorhome / camper in august this year (which it now states on V5) and had assumed that the speed restriction was lifted to the same as a regaular car or MPV. Here's soem info http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-speed-limits.shtml

Dispute? Ok it leaves me 1mph over the limit but arent I then allowed 10% ? :*:confused::(

In this case the 1mph does,nt matter as it,s the "50mph" they are citing you for, as long as your paperwork is correct you should be ok

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
As others have said contest it - NIP's are sent out like confetti - many are dropped as soon as they are contested, but make sure that you do so promptly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have already if the darn office werent only open until 1pm!

friggin slackers!

Just curious about the speed limit and vehicle category though so thought it good post/info for on here. Should be ok then T:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I was wondering this recently.

According to my logbook mine is a diesel car, chassis is apparently different to the standard panel van as it has seatbelt mounts etc fitted from factory, so I wonder if I'm not restricted like other "vans"

·
Registered
737 Posts
i would contest it in court after writing back with your evidence. definately allowed 10%+2 i got that from an ex copper, speedos are never 100% so got to have some tolerance.
speeding is an absolute offence, no allowances i'm afraid, i've heard that before as well.

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Oh they love the Van speeding guff here ...... did you inform DVLA NI when you did conversion Gary or was it DVLA in swansea?

·
Registered
213 Posts
speeding is an absolute offence, no allowances i'm afraid, i've heard that before as well.
Quite, there are no allowances for being over the limit be it only 1mph, that is also the reading they have taken and you speedo could possibly have shown that you were doing even more. At 60mph on my sat nav the van reads around 65 this is the about the same on both my vans.

·
Registered
203 Posts
hi, i tryed to fight a speeding ticket for 55, same thought i was ok as states on v5 car, and is a kombie with factory windows seat, seat belts and under the stated 2040kg, went back and forth for months till they got to me haveing no back window, so 3points and £60 worse off and feeling more than a littel ed off,

·
Registered
571 Posts
Was it in Wales, they have a zero tolerance and 1 mph over will get you a ticket, happened to me in Bala, 31 mph I never saw a camera, so I googled it and it turns out to be a small camera mounted on a tripod that the police hide in a bush, anyway got me 3 points and a speed awareness course, so if in Wales keep your wits about you.
Whilst we are talking about speed cameras, i was talking to 2 coppers with a speed gun at the top of my street, they were trapping cars coming down a 30 mph mile stretch, and they said they wouldn't be pulling anybody in doing under 45 mph, the reason being the camera wasn't that accurate, yet I get done for 1 mph :*

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
The vast majority of police will follow apco guidlines so would not proscecute for 1mph over the speed limit, they use 10% + 2 miles per hour

Virtually all speedo's will over read (with original wheels and tyres) so will show the higher speed than you are actually doing

ACPO's guidance has been formulated having taken account of the need for proportionality (especially with the introduction of Human Rights legislation) and the need for targeting in order to maximise the potential of scarce police resources and make a substantial contribution to the multi-agency road death and injury reduction effort.

Driving at any speed over the limit is an offence. The differing speed limits are generally related, and proportionate, to the risks to all road users using that road. Where police officers consider that an offence has been committed i.e. that a motorist has driven at any speed over the relevant speed limit, they should consider whether it is appropriate to take enforcement action against the offender.

The Police Service now uses technology that enables it to prove that an offence has been committed as soon as a driver exceeds the relevant speed limit by a very small margin. Motorists will therefore be at risk of prosecution immediately they exceed any legal speed limit.

The guidance to police officers is that it is anticipated that, other than in the most exceptional circumstances, the issue of fixed penalty notices and summonses is likely to be the minimum appropriate enforcement action as soon as the following speeds have been reached:

Fixed penalty of
1. £60 (pending)
2. Licence endorsed with 3 penalty points
Magisterial discretion (level 2) maximum of:
1. £1000 fine
2. Licence endorsed - range of penalty points available
3. Disqualification
4. Compulsory re-testing

This guidance does not and cannot replace the police officer's discretion and they may decide to issue a summons or a fixed penalty notice in respect of offences committed at speeds lower than those set out in the table. Moreover, in particular circumstances, driving at speeds lower than the legal limit may result in prosecution for other offences, for example dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention when the speed is inappropriate and inherently unsafe.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

Take it to court
This is wrong

Two facts little know
1. The officer must target you vehicle not leave the tape recording and view afterwards
You need to ask for the full 3 hour tape by a court order if necessary
2. All mobile speed camera vehicles must by law have two batteries ;). Some don't

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sorry if I'm missing something here but why would your vechicle be restricted to 50mph ? Is the max for camper vans ?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts