VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at fitting an intercooler to my 2001 1.9td abl, can any one tell me which one works better, a top mount or front mount intercooler? I am undecided because the top mount gains heat, but the front mount has longer pipe work, Thanks T:

·
Registered
767 Posts
ive found that it all depends on if you like playing under the bonnet... if your no good with the spanners then fit a top mounted ,but if you like to play under there then fit a fmic ,lol, i think their all pretty much the same really

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
The problem i have with the FMIC is the access. You have to undo a lot more pipework to move the radiator forward into service position and there is more scope for leaks. If stock 2.5tdi intercoolers weren't so expensive i would go for one all day long, just for an easy life T:T:

·
Registered
767 Posts
ive mounted mine to the under side of the bumper bar mate which keeps it out of the way from everything ..... and just needs the belly pan trimming off to re-fit it if you have one Rasp:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
ive mounted mine to the under side of the bumper bar mate which keeps it out of the way from everything ..... and just needs the belly pan trimming off to re-fit it if you have one Rasp:
Good idea mate, seen it done before using MK4 golf grills inset into the bumper. Good thing with fitting it like this is you minimise the heat soak even more. I swear mounting it so close to the radiator soaks as much as a top mount anyway!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Have you got some pics of this?? I did my conversion in May but haven't fitted an ic yet. I have the golf one which I was going to mount on the bottom front cross member and cut the bumper for air flow but wanted to keep the undertray. Does it make much difference to power?

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Have you got some pics of this?? I did my conversion in May but haven't fitted an ic yet. I have the golf one which I was going to mount on the bottom front cross member and cut the bumper for air flow but wanted to keep the undertray. Does it make much difference to power?
Difficult to tell but the engine is designed to run with one from the factory.

·
Registered
767 Posts
agree with jimmy mate , not too sure about the difference in the power, if you wannt to PM me your mob no: ill text you the pics of the bumper and where the cooler goes, i havnt finished the tray yet so no pics yet of that

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies guys its much appreciated, Im no expert when it comes to mechanics I just search for it all on here lol, I think I'll take the safe option and get a top mount intercooler, mitsubishi l200 is the common one, has any one used a ford mondeo intercooler? they seem reasonably priced, Thanks again T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts