VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
vwconnections.co.uk
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys
This is just a straight forward standard intercooler fit to an 88bhp 2.5tdi.
Some of the photos were corrupted on the card but it may give some idea.

1. in the beginning with no intercooler.

2. These are the parts i recieved. Intercooler pipe and brackets.

3.I moved the header tank for easier access and took out the 4 pin sensor.

4. I then removed the hard plastic pipe.

5. This plastic pipe was cut approx 2" either side of the sensor mount to be fitted in between the flexi hoses so i could use my existing 4 pin sensor. Its best to cut this after the flexi pipes are in place to get it the correct length. (sorry photo was no good)

6.PLastic pipe removed.

7. Top Bracket fitted in to place. Very easy captive threads already inplace.

8.Flexi hose from turbo in position. I left the clips off until everthing was positioned.

9.Flexi hose from intake in place. Bottom bracket also in place.

10. I then offered the intercooler into place. Then i measured the hard plastic pipe and cut and fitted between the flexi hoses from the intake and bottom right outlet of the intercooler. When this was done i took out the hard plastic pipe and refitted my original 4 pin sensor with wire attached and fitted it back inplace. This was so i could get the sensor and wires in the correct position so they didnt foul anything. With everything looking good i put all the clips in position (the hose that goes directly on the turbo put on before you put the intercooler in place as its a pig to get to afterwards.(sorry for the lack of photos on this bit camera problem).

11. You can see the sensor in between the flexi pipes. Also the vacumn hose you can see was blocked off using a small bolt and cable tied in to the engine bay.

12.In position and bolted up.

13. Then you need to remove the section of the sound deadening. It is perferated and i just used a stanley knife.

14. Then remove the piece of plastic which just slides off.

And thats all. Im sure ive missed loads but if it helps one person its done its job.

Cheers
Steve

·
6,662 Posts
Nice one Ste.

Good post that I'm sure will help.

Obviously this is a 2pin sensor IC.

Should go in Tech Articles too..:ILU:

·
Registered
267 Posts
hi steve
ive been waiting for this for ages,it looks a lot easier than i tought it was,well done matey!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Steve, you have answered a lot of questions that I have been throwing round my head. The issue about 2 and 4 pins was concerning me, so the photos are good to show that they are not an issue at all!
All I need now is an intercooler. You don't happen to know if all the other various designs are worth it do you? I don't want to mount one in my bumper anyway, so maybe the only way ahead is a genuine one.

Steve

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Thanks Steve, you have answered a lot of questions that I have been throwing round my head. The issue about 2 and 4 pins was concerning me, so the photos are good to show that they are not an issue at all!
All I need now is an intercooler. You don't happen to know if all the other various designs are worth it do you? I don't want to mount one in my bumper anyway, so maybe the only way ahead is a genuine one.

Steve
Try Dave at Yorkshire Van Breakers http://www.yorkshirevanbreakers.co.uk/

I was gonna get one off him for £70 + VAT delivered, really helpful and breaks loads of T4's by the sound of it T:

Cheers

Chris :ILU:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Steve you can get the under bonnet vent which sits on the IC when the bonnet is closed from VW s shown on my ex-88 now 155bhp T4.

Heres mine fitted

And the on going project of replacing the tiddly heat soaker 102 IC with the huge 151ps IC. This also requires a replacement rad and more pipework, all genuine VW though :ILU:

And when Keeno helps me out with what pipework I need it will be on with the plastic top engine cover :mw

·
Power Through Technology
47 Posts
What is the part number for that engine cover?
It really tidies the engine bay.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So, would my 1.9TD be happy with these mods?
If so, do i still need the intercooler upgrade?
Happy to do all of it, just mine looks a little different under the hood so will need a little more research before setting about the fuel pump and the turbo.

T:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great how to, fitted one to my 2.5 tdi today pending remap on Friday, couldn't believe how smoothly everything went, thanks for the how to post.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Markjel,

Mate, mine is still sitting in the shed...which is no good. Mine was supposed to come with 'everything I need' to fit....minus the nuts and bolts to fit the brackets to the body/chassis. Did you use standard off the shelf bolts, or did you order from VW.

I ask because I'm struggling to get a straight answer from my main dealer regarding the all things IC related (as they don't really want to know, cos it's an old T4) esp. that lovely air-ducting that is shown in all it's glory in Vanblings pics. I keep taking them part numbers, and they keep telling me I need to provide tube diameters?? I have no idea why they keep asking that, as there are no tube related connections to the ducting (unless I'm missing something).

I can't believe I'm being held up by a bit of plastic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys does any know of a link to the same sort of pictorial for the tidy campers ic kit for an ajt 2.5 88 bhp?.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

I really would like to do this mod before tacking the boost and fuel mods listed elsewhere. Just 2 questions

1: the mod is listed for an 88 TDi. I have a 2001 1.9 TD - I presume the mod is the same for this and will fit as described ?

2: which is the intercoloer and 'kit' shown in the pictures? Is this the standard VW figment from a 2.5 TDi ?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts