VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
check out my 200bhp whats it going to cost thread, ive recently fitted a FMIC.....

10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thread mate! have you got any pictures of it with the bumper on? what size is it (intercooler)? how does the bumper come off? sorry for all the questions mate but looking at fitting mine next week, and i kinda like the idea of people seeing it! :eek:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I had marty3467s van in the other week and he had a merc slk cooler behind the front bumper, looked ace fitted great and funnily enough uses less pipework than mine in front of rad....
Nearly Andy, Its marty2472. yep I've got one fitted at the mo, but I'm in the middle of modding the standard front bumper. I want the ic where it is, bolted to the underside of the front beam, but I'm gonna have to put some brackets on to sit it about an inch further back so it doesn't push out on the bumper and distort it. I've ordered a center and two side bumper grills from a golf 4 which I will graft into the bumper, pretty much like swordfish's van ( thanks for the inspiration to swordfish). Should look sweet when its done, the ic will sit behind the grills out of site. You will also have to either remove the undertray or create a cut out to allow airflow behind the ic too.T:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Try cutting out larger, wack some expanding foam round the inside, trim and smooth so you got an inch, maybe two going back into the bumper, then some fibreglass to strengthen. Only down side is you will then have to fill and paint, but if you got a standard vw colour can be done easily with a rattle can.

10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I promise i'm trying not to be awkward but i've got the standard black and keeping them don't like colour coded... thanks for the help though, looks like i'm just going to have to wing it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
i mounted mine in the bumper as i did not want to move the radiator from its original position,if you want to front mount in to the bumper you will need to remove the front lip off the engine under tray to enable you to mount the cooler as far back as possible and cut some holes for the pipes to enter.it ends as as an expensive way to do it as you need a fair amount of pipe and silicon bends.i finished all the cut edges with edge trim making it look better and keeping cut edges safe.the bumper was cut using a jig saw and marked with chalk as where to cut and also finishing off with edge trim.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts