VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

It appears I have a problem with a leaking inter cooler pipe. As well as a small amount of oil leaking from the connection I can also hear, what I would describe as a kind of sucking/chirping sound when the turbo cuts in at around 1.5k revs. I have been told this is probably due to the above mentioned leaking seal on the inter cooler pipe and would also explain why the van is a bit thirstier than it should be.
Is it possible to replace the seals or do I need to replace the whole pipe? And is the sound I can hear, related to this proplem?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got similar if not the same problem myself. I can hear a chirpy whistle sound as it comes on boost too.
It amplifys when I lift off like its the waste gate not closed properely. If I keep my foot in it goes into limp home mode.
Trying to find a pipe pressure testing device Cause I can't tell which seal is leaking. I would be expensive to to replace all of them People just seem to bung up one end and stick a compressor via a bung and valve on the other but I have failed to locate one.
Does your engine seem to be 'hunting' just before the turbo comes in too?
I'm also really interested in what people think too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Spoke to local dealer today. The seals are £4.09 each, there are 8 in all so proberely cheaper to replace them all rather than pay for a pressure test!
Now, On mine think it mIght be the actuator arm not closeing the waste gate properely as there is quite a bit of free play in it. It moves like the pin has ovaled out the hole. Guess that would cause the leaking sound too

·
Registered
878 Posts
You can get a smoke test done ! they pump smoke into the engine and were it weeps out is your leak !

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi All

It appears I have a problem with a leaking inter cooler pipe. As well as a small amount of oil leaking from the connection I can also hear, what I would describe as a kind of sucking/chirping sound when the turbo cuts in at around 1.5k revs. I have been told this is probably due to the above mentioned leaking seal on the inter cooler pipe and would also explain why the van is a bit thirstier than it should be.
Is it possible to replace the seals or do I need to replace the whole pipe? And is the sound I can hear, related to this proplem?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Is this a 2.5? and does it have high miles?

·
Registered
47 Posts
A vw trained tech who services my van told me that they all tend to leak and there was no real fix as far as vw were concerned..I've thought about forge hoses but not sure if this would solve the problem...Mine is a high milage 2006 130 nearly done 130.000 miles...Its also been chipped

·
Registered
485 Posts
It would be interesting to hear where most of them leak from, if it's a common thing and the leaks are usually is a particular area we could maybe work out if the Forge pipes would fix it?

Surely it has to come from a connection, I'd be surprised if the pipe wasn't airtight! So the question would be (I guess) does the Forge kit use better connections?

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
The VW pipe connections tend to wear its not so much the seal leaking as the pipe not seating correctly, basically an over engineered design where a tube hose and jubilee clip woul suffice. Check for worn or broken retaining clips at the joints. You can generally see a problematic joint.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi, it will depend upon which engine code you have as to whether or not they will fit in the 1st place:

A set of four silicone boost hoses for the VW T5 van fitted with the 2500cc 130PS engine (BNZ code * ) and the 174PS engine (BPC code). These are supplied with alloy bayonet style couplers for ease of installation.

Please note: It is necessary to re-use your original bayonet sealing rings, as these are not supplied.

* Please check your engine code. These are not suitable for early 2500cc engines 130PS with engine code AXD, or the 174PS engine with code AXE

See this tread for further chat:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147451

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=260801SILH&product=FMKTVWT5

Thanks Wickedtintz, so do you think these would fix the potential problem? I have no experience with this, I don't know if these are good quality or not?

Thank you once again T:

·
Registered
279 Posts
On a related note, I've asked a few garages if they could do a pressure test on the turbo side pipework to identify if there are any leaks. As per usual they look at me blankly :* Im sure it is not that difficult to do with a foot-pump and a bicycle valve conveniently glued into one of the pipes for example, or for those with an Allard EGR replacement pipe, perhaps the turbo pressure valve could be used. It would certainly highlight if there is pressure loss and hopefully where from (i.e. listen for the hiss).

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Did anyone find any answers I this? Ive got the exact same problem with my 1.9

Can see coke spray on actuator, not sure if this is from cooler pipe spitting or coming out the actuator. But I get a loud sucking noise under boost and can't find any boost leaks. Should there be oil in there?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Lock did you fix this problem?.. my van has started blowing from the same pipe today and is making a lovely hisssing noise. When I push the pipe back on the hissing stops, but as soon as I rev it it pops off again.:(

Anyone know the part number for the clips or a better fix? [maybe clip then heat wrap?]

I've read you can drill the top pipe [coming off the egr which has the same conection and problem] and then add a small self taper screw, but this bottom pipe is a bee hutch to reach never mind drill:(

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just to add my van is a 1.9 104ps, I've tried searching [which brought me here] theres lots of info on the 2.5 but nothing for the 1.9 :(

Any help would be appreciated, two lads in a Saxo asked if I had a dump valve fitted to the van today :eek::D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did my 1,9 04 with self tappers it is a bit of a bind but new seals and screws fixed it. You have to watch where that silly clip fits in as it can rub through the cooler pipe alloy section and then they dont hold together properly and blow appart.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thanks i'll pop into VW tomorrow for some new seals, Is there any chance you can put a picture of the [screw] fix up tomorrow?T:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Took the pipe off today, the lower clip nearest the turbo had worn itself away and snapped in half. :( The bracket about 3/4 the way up the aluminium down pipe [which bolts to the engine] had snapped some time ago causing the conection to vibrate itself to destruction - there were no lugs left on the bottom conections at all, completely worn away.

Anyheew - £80 plus vat later and all the parts are on order. T:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Did anyone find any answers I this? Ive got the exact same problem with my 1.9

Can see coke spray on actuator, not sure if this is from cooler pipe spitting or coming out the actuator. But I get a loud sucking noise under boost and can't find any boost leaks. Should there be oil in there?
Same was happening with mine same pipe,could push it back in ,rev it up and sucking noise again.anyway pipe cost me 90 euro from vw,was a small bit of oil inside my pipe,noting major like that!! Might have noting to do with it but check intercooler is ok,found mine was leaking which I think can cause the oil pipe!! Eithe that or turbo which I all so replaced!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts