VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought 2 12v interior lights and with to fit them to my tail gate with a on and off switch in the back door also, my wife bought me for Xmas the grill spot lights as well, I don’t know about car electrics but I am very practice and can follow instructions and a labelled diagram so my question that I am very much hoping someone can help me with is this :-

how do I wire both of these items in through the fuse box?

any help is greatly received , I did try and have them fitted professionally however the closest electrical car guy who is 50 miles away had the van for a week and did nothing with it, and I cant afford to be without it that long.

hywel

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hi mate, both jobs fairly easy............

for the tailgate you can take a live feed from your rear interior light in the roof card, and run it through the rubber trunking down into the tailgate together with an earth wire (earthing points above the light cluster). Be sure to put an inline fuse where you spur off the light +. Hardest job is threading wire down trunking and into tailgate but a straightened coathanger did the trick!

For your grill lights you can buy a wiring kit from Halfords etc which includes a fuse, relay, wiring and a couple of good wiring diagrams for £12, you can either wire up directly to main beam or run them through a switch inside cab (or buy a new headlight switch which incorporates the spots as well) i made my own mini harness up following a diagram i got with my lights.

It all sounds more complex than it actually is, but a couple of hours work on a nice day...!

good luck.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just one quick piece of advice, when you're feeding the wire through the trunking, just grease it!!

I tried the coat hanger method for ages before just greasing the wire and it slipped right through...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts