VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a fix for the issue of internal door handles not opening the door?
the issue is:

The handle isn't catching the metal rod that pulls the door latch, so wont open. The reason being i think that the door card isn't sitting close enough, so i can just feel the handle catch the metal rod and then it slips, to make it open i have to push the door crad towards the door and then engage the handle....its doing my swede in anyone got any fix ideas>?:eek:

hope that make scene...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes I believe I do :) undo all the screws -main door pull etc so you can remove the door card. The lock rod should sit in two clips, it makes an " s" shape. The latch is trying to push against the upright portion. When you put pressure on the latch it actually slides up the rod and comes off. I ended up cutting the rod at the top of the vertical bit -my upper catch for the rod was missing and the wire was bent all over due to a previous owner cobbling a door lock.....and slide a couple of small nuts down the rod and glued them in place. Anything that sticks and lets the finger of the latch butt up against it will do.

To get the door card back put a long thin piece of electrical wire around the upright and bring both end out by the edge of the door card near the hinges. Pull the wire and the rod operates. Keep the wire pulled and jiggle the door card back on. You can do it alone but a helper, well, helps! once the card is on and up against the panel just pull the wire slowly out. The latch should now be in the right place. The "finger " on the latch isn't the longest and could have broken ( like mine) but you can drill and put a thin but reasonable long screw in instead. Just mind you don't drill into the bottom slot of the latch otherwise it won't clip back into place.

Hope this helps and you get it fixed. T:

Pete

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same issue. My youngest was playing with the handle and pull its back too far, so the
end pice snapped off. Tried a cheapo one didn't work and have fitted a brand new genuine VW one
worked yesterday and not today !! I was thinking about adding something to it so that it grips the rod
rather than slipping off and the screw option seems a great idea.
Thats my job for tomorrow evening then :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had the same issue. I simply re shaped the metal bar with some pliers to allow the handle to catch it better and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Mine did it for a while on the driver's door. Not being mechanically minded, I just sprayed WD40 over anything that looked like it might be to do with the lock and it has been OK ever since.....?????????????

·
Registered
31 Posts
Drilled a small hole and has a small self taper in the end of it now. However its still doesn't feel quite
right and you almost need to push the bottom right corner of the hand against the door.
Its does feel quite tight and wondering if the rest of the lock bars and mechanism needs lubing.

Strangely enough the tailgate outside handle doesn't release quite as quick as it ought too.

Perhaps everything is just dry on mine... And its warmed up too !!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine was caused by the clip near the handle being broken, solution was to drill another hole next to the clip locator hole and place a tie wrap through the holes and around the rod loosely so that it holds the rod back but still lets it move freely, sorted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts