VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am wanting to install some of the LED strip lights along the roof of my T5 for more lighting when kids are in the van.
I have seen some on ebay fairly cheap but not sure how its fitted? They said it comes with red and black wire which can be directly connected to main batteey, but I'm confused as to a.how to do this b. How would I turn them on and off? :*
Am not technically minded so any help would be great.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
757 Posts
You could run them in parallel with your current interior light, or replace the current interior light with the LEDs and a switch. See my thread a few below yours for some clues as to which wire is which :)

LED's are polarity sensitive (i.e. they will only work when connected the correct way around) so the black wire needs to go to - and the red wire needs to go to + (12v).

If you really aren't sure then i wouldn't go trying as you could cause some damage, get an auto electrcian to do it...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

AB.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I am no expert but would pick up a 12v switch from maplins, ebay or halfords, anywhere that sells them really, as well as an inline fuse. Fuse on the red line, somewhere accessible, and the switch could go anywhere but I'd put on the red line too.

Black line to an earthing point as close as possible to the lights, and generally, keep the cabling shorter to prevent voltage drop.

Hope that helps

Dave

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Seems a bit baffling. From what the seller said it was just a case of putting wire on + and - and away you go but obs not! So will contact a local autoelectrician for a quote as current lights are not bright enough and will run battery down quicker

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of interest. If I bought a leisure battery for under driver seat. Is that just a normal car battery? And would it be easier to link lighting to that:*

·
Registered
757 Posts
So if you are realy not at all technical , but want just a bit more light then you could look at the led festoon lights that are on Ebay, there are some 16 led ones that i would think give off a good amount of light. Go to Ebay and search for '42mm festoon LED' you should come up with loads, they are about £1 each. These are still polarity sensitive, so if you plug it in and it doesn't work then turn it around and try again...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
we've replaced our orig florescents with ebay led strips to reduce power consumption. gone for bright white with a soft white & yellow at rear for when in bed. find them great & cheap, good & bright & ok after 3 years.
can get deep ones, ordinary leds, ours 45cm long which we put into cable trunking to look like an orig unit. & the brighter flat strip 3025's & 5050's which have an adhesive backing which we stuck on a plastic strip. they are controlled by cheap ebay square push switches, actually connected to the zig unit but don't see the problem with connecting direct to the leisure battery through a fuse (ebay ads normally give the total power of each strip) very low current usage & the wires on the strips are very thin. don't work if + & - are wrong but have never blown any, they just don't light up
we also used a short one of the latter connected to the front cab light as no led festoon bulb in there was bright enough for us

got whites above the worktops in our kitchen at home & the 3-colour colour changing strips above the wall units with remote control for on/off & colour sequence - quite effective for little outlay.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Just out of interest. If I bought a leisure battery for under driver seat. Is that just a normal car battery? And would it be easier to link lighting to that:*
No its different to a car battery. They are designed to do different things and act in a different way. There's plenty of post on here with the pro's and con's and suggestions. You should also consider venting your leisure battery if necessary. Again, read up on the posts.

A benefit of a leisure battery is that you won't risk flattening the vehicle battery should you leave things switched on.

Electrickery is not my area of expertise but there are considerations such as do you want to fit a split charge system to charge your leisure battery as you drive. Do you want any kind of control system like the Zig unit someone mentioned or a simple connection to the battery. Don't forget any fuses should you need them.

There's also regulators to consider. There's plenty of advice on here suggesting these should be fitted to make sure there is a constant/regular voltage supplies to led lights as this helps prevent them blowing or having a shorter lifespan.

If it literally is just another light for the kids sitting in the back then you might want to keep it simple and it could be along the lines of what abingdonboy and Team Monkey have suggested.

As I said, not my area of expertise but depending on your requirements, you may need to understand some of the points above so you can make an informed decision.

Ultimately, if you're still not 100% sure when you've read up, don't risk any safety issues. Upspex on here is a trade member and gives loads of advice on electrics and will give you a great service and price from all the posts I've read from members who have used him. He's mobile.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.alot to consider. ..will have a rethink about what we want. Out of interest, what are ikea ones called?

·
Yellow van man
933 Posts
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/20515/

You have a fair choice with IKEA. Several variants in the Dioder range but there is also the Ledberg which is very cheap. You can get a remote control switch with a dimmer function from Upspex (on the forum), which includes a 12v regulator I think, that gives a bit more functionality to the setup.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hi Hendubz,

Maybe these will be of interest to you
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281127193249

I use these in the van along with all my other lights and they are brilliant as mood lighting.
Easy to install, no need to worry about polarity as they are "plug & play" type (all the hard work has been done for you)!
(pm me and ill explain how to fit your lights with ease)

or check out page 22 of my build thread & you'll see these, (well 2 blue & 1 white anyhow)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Xenon...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3374f1a504

They are MEGA bright and well worth the money..... T:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. :)
Probably a stupid question.....I have removed bulkhead and under the drivers seat there are some cables plugged in, but there is a spart socket. Could I attach a plug to the end of the lights and plug into that? Is it an electric power point, so to speak?

·
Registered
711 Posts

This is a 5 meter 12v DC LED strip that has been soldered directly to the terminals on the interior light closest to the sliding door. The wiring is hidden behind the roof lining, it is activated with the doors and can be controlled by switching the interior light. It only cost a tender and took about 20 mins to fit and solder.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
What I have done is change original light bulbs to led then ran led strip across side of van and soldered into the middle light so they come on with the light switch and when the door opens.took about 20 mins

·
Yellow van man
933 Posts
Thanks everyone. :)
Probably a stupid question.....I have removed bulkhead and under the drivers seat there are some cables plugged in, but there is a spart socket. Could I attach a plug to the end of the lights and plug into that? Is it an electric power point, so to speak?
I wouldn't go near any of that stuff without knowing exactly what it is. Your central locking is in amongst that and probably rear light clusters and all sorts. An auto electrician that knows the van well is your best bet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts