VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This is my 1st T4 since owning a T3 so still getting to grips with it.

Its a SWB, 1.9TD, 1998, with central locking & electric windows & mirrors.

Experiencing a few electrical probs so any advice appreciated:

Interior lights:
Intermittently not working, Seem to work every time I open the sliding door or tailgate, but more often than not don't come on when I open either front door!?

Wing mirrors:
Worked fine when I got the van, but since I started folding them in while parked (narrow streets where I live) they no longer operate vertically! When the vertical buttons are pressed they just move horizontally!?

Stereo:
Upgraded the stereo from Sony cassette to Sony ipod head unit. Now occasionally the unit will turn itself off?! Is this on the same fuse as the interior light?

Subwoofer:
I want to fit a sub, so need to route the power cable from the battery to the amp. I noticed the wiring passes through the bulkhead from the engine bay to the cab behind the glove box. Any tips on getting power cable through? looks quite solid!

Like I said any tips advice welcome.

Cheers, Bri

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just a guess, but I would have thought it's worth checking the mirror wiring to see if the folding has chafed or shorted the wires.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Take out the courtesy light switches on the front doors and scrape the contact surfaces with a stanley knife. To get through the grommet undo the tape that binds the tube part. Lube your cable with a bit of washing up liquid and push it through. It comes out just below the top of the rubber mat.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I replaced the fuse & cleaned all the contacts on the light switches and replaced one of the spade connectors, STILL intermittent! The switch on the passenger side only has one wire and drivers side 2. Is that correct? Does that mean it grounds to the chassis?

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Yes, that's correct. You have an extra wire on the drivers side for the lights on warning buzzer. Yes the switches connect to earth. Dis you scrape the contacts or the connections where the spades go?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Stereo could be the VW plug having slightly differing wiring.
Cant remember which needs swapping but its dead easy.
There are threads on he dealing with it.
Good luck.

Ditto on the int. lights. I cleaned my switches & the body 3 times before intermittent probs were solved.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think I've sorted the courtesy switches. T:

And stereo don't keep turning off. BUT stereo don't pick up my ipod anymore :blg

As for swapping wires over. It had a cassette xplod in & I just swapped it for a CD xplod, surely should be the same?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Think I've sorted the courtesy switches. T:

And stereo don't keep turning off. BUT stereo don't pick up my ipod anymore :blg

As for swapping wires over. It had a cassette xplod in & I just swapped it for a CD xplod, surely should be the same?
I guess if it was not the original then as you say, should be ok.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,691 Posts
LOL:Don't the mirrors stay as you set them?

Had mine for 4 years now, and after setting both mirrors how I wanted them, never used the function!!!

Can understand your problem with narrow streets, but they were never designed to be moved daily...the "fold" function was just to allow them to move before breaking when hit...or so I think...the newer ones (in Europe) have electric fold...do it as soon as you turn off the ignition....but do you think the standard wires can be bent that often without having problems?????

Ipod...Why?...don't you also have mp3 CD player?....Isn't 10 hours of continuous music from a single CD enough?
Look on E-bay...I bought a 10 CD changer (with MP3) for 50 quid, Sony unit, with cables to the ExPlod head unit...fits (under)/behind the drivers seat....I can have enough music for a 2 week trip to UK and back without messing with any "pod" people.
Actually...isn't the pod connection just a socket on the front of the player?....It is on mine....so any problems can ONLY be the lead or the connection (unless it won't allow you to select direct input).

Sorry, I have 2 I-Pods....but never used them in the car...only used for storing sound-effects for a music production system (60Gb from Sony Movie Studios)....don't ask how I got themI:

Next you'll be asking how you can get your BlueTooth 'phone to come through the Sony system...LOL:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL:Don't the mirrors stay as you set them?

Had mine for 4 years now, and after setting both mirrors how I wanted them, never used the function!!!

Can understand your problem with narrow streets, but they were never designed to be moved daily...the "fold" function was just to allow them to move before breaking when hit...or so I think...the newer ones (in Europe) have electric fold...do it as soon as you turn off the ignition....but do you think the standard wires can be bent that often without having problems?????

Ipod...Why?...don't you also have mp3 CD player?....Isn't 10 hours of continuous music from a single CD enough?
Look on E-bay...I bought a 10 CD changer (with MP3) for 50 quid, Sony unit, with cables to the ExPlod head unit...fits (under)/behind the drivers seat....I can have enough music for a 2 week trip to UK and back without messing with any "pod" people.
Actually...isn't the pod connection just a socket on the front of the player?....It is on mine....so any problems can ONLY be the lead or the connection (unless it won't allow you to select direct input).

Sorry, I have 2 I-Pods....but never used them in the car...only used for storing sound-effects for a music production system (60Gb from Sony Movie Studios)....don't ask how I got themI:

Next you'll be asking how you can get your BlueTooth 'phone to come through the Sony system...LOL:
No big deal, I just want the mirrors to do what they're designed to do. I disagree about the "fold" function, as the mirrors have red clips to lock them in the folded position. Why would they be there if the mirrors were JUST designed to move when hit?

As for iPod, I have a large collection of music and I don't want to spend ages burning them to mp3 CD's (I do enough of that at work!). Again, the xplod is designed to control an iPod (That's why I bought it) and has a dedicated cable attached to the back of it. Like I said it USED to work! Yep. could be the lead, which means my next plan of action is to take the headunit apart and see if I can replace the lead, pain in the .

Don't worry I won't upset you further by moaning about bluetooth. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts