VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

After much head scratching and forum searching, I've come up short and hoping someone can help.

I have wired in new puddle lights to the back of my van today (2008 T5 panel). They work as I want, coming on when the doors are opened or van is unlocked. The only thing I changed from the way the original ones worked was to have them all turn on regardless of which door is opened. All seemed good at this point.

I also wired in a switch so I could turn them on while in the back when the doors are closed. The only issue I have is when the lights come on from the doors or unlocking the van, they are nice and bright. When switched on using the switch they are really dim. I checked with multimeter and am getting 12V with door opening, but only 5V when used with the switch. (Switch is a 12v switch)

Obviously I would like them to be as bright when using the switch. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I should add I am not using a leisure battery, just the van battery.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you're losing 7v when turning on with the switch you have either

A) increased resistance in the wiring through the switch
B) a problem with the switch.

Check either side of the switch if you have 12v when turned on. If you do then your problem is further downstream. If you have 7v after the switch then there is your problem.

How long is the cable run through the switch circuit?

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I cantt help but wonder , if you put the switch in yourself, have you made sure that its grounded/earthed properly ?I have had that happen with different things , specially if its a metal switch housing that self earths , i found I had to scrape the paint off an earthing screw hole in order for a proper earth if its running thru the switch it sounds like its not earthing properly , even had that happen with 240v main house power when the earth cable gave way the lights went dim , wasnt aware why

1 - 5 of 5 Posts