VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to start lining out the back of my van this week and need to get the roof lights sorted before i trim the headlining.
I don't want to spend loads of money on anything too special. I just want some simple chrome down lighters/spots.
I know very little about electrics but I'm going to have work it all out as I go.
I want 4 lights. Can I use 12v 20w spots from Wickes or do I need something specific?

Sorry if this sounds really dumb!:*

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I also have LED's mine are actually side lights of a hgv trailer. They are very good, use only a small amount of power and dont get hot! look tidy aswell, I would deffo recomend getting your self some leds mate. T:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yes you can use the 12V downlight fittings from Wickes (or any other DIY supplier for that matter), I used a set of small silver ones (70mm DIA across, 40mm DIA bulb holder approx.) which came from B&Q at a clearance price of a £5.

Cut the transformer off and ditch that and wire in direct, only thing is I would strongly recommend that you replace the bulbs for LED replacements for 2 reasons 1/ The supplied "normal" halogen bulbs get very hot and 2/ they use up a lot or current which will drain your battery much quicker then LED's.

I got my led replacement bulbs from BeDazzzled http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/12v_LED_Bulb_Replacement.htm, admittedly not cheap but the light output is fantastic and as you will see very safe as they supply the boating world.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I used Wickes led decking lights, just bought the extension kit as transformer isnt needed, £20 for four, chopped the plug off the interior light and also the decking lights and wired together-easy, available in white, blue or multi coloured. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have bought some of the wickes LED's, cut the transformer off and wired straight in the existing interior lights off the live/negative.
I've also kept the 2 existing interior lights in so they still come on when you open the door.
The LED's work when you press the switch, I can change colours etc...

The problem I have with these is every now and again they stop working and I have to disconnect the wiring and re wire exactly the same for them to come back on..??? Cant work it out...

Anybody any ideas please.

???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts