VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello hello,
Its all in the title. I’m looking to fit an electric winch in the back of the van to pull my bike into it. Its a T5 LWB.
Has anyone done this at any time in their lives and could give me some advice or the number of the firm that installed the apparatus?
Big thanks in advance,
UKM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello hello, thanks for the reply. I’m really keen to hear from anyone who has tried the winch though. I have a weak lower back through years if heavy lifting and this would be an ideal solution for me as pushing and moving fast with the bike in gear arent viable options for my vertebrae! Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crikey!
I’m looking to try to fabricate some sort of docking system for the front wheel, but open to any solution. Elsewhere here there is a post from someone who did this to a T4, but the thread doesn't go anywhere. ‘Goose.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I was going to say, if you need a winch you must be trying to load one of those Harley behemoth things !! 😀

Can't help with the winch, but I would guess the sort of thing Land Rover types put on the front of their 4x4's would be more than suitable.
Also, there are front wheel stand/clamps that you can buy from places like J&S, which you can bolt down to the floor. If you mounted the winch just above that, centrally, it would pull the bike up your ramp & into the front wheel stand/clamp thing. That would then hold the bike upright while you got your straps on.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The type of front wheel chock advised above works well, I use handlebar tie downs, but it's also best to tie down at the rear to stop the bike pivoting on the front wheel in an emergency stop/accident (don't ask me how I know!)

With regards to the winch, I knew of someone who used a winch that clipped on the overcab shelf on his Ford Transit in 2 positions to load 2 bikes - so it has been done! From memory, he bought a cheap 12v Chinese winch from ebay, his wife would operate the switch - but a remote option was available. I'll email him to see if he can remember which one he bought & get back to you

I regularly used my T5 to transport bikes but always had assistance to load them, I found stepping up into the van whilst ducking down was the hardest bit. That said, the mechanic in my local bike shop loaded my Gixer 750 in my T5 easily by himself - but then he is used to manoeuvring bikes

Since then, I bought a bigger van & can load bijes quite easily, but I still normally get assistance when loading the Gixer thou. The thought of the damage to bike & van if it falls off the ramp doesn't bear thinking about!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would a winch from a disabled van conversion do it,I got one in mine from when I used to ferry my dad about and he was no lightweight. The controls are on a handset so in theory you could sit on the bike while it wax going up the ramp.plenty of these about I should have thought for t4 conversions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi there and thanks for the replies! Love the Gixxer! This is the bike thats going into the van. I call it the Multifighter as its been thoroughly supermoto’d. I’m needing advice about mounting the winch as it goes. There are loads of wee winches that will do the trick, but the winch will need a post and pulley to raise the tow cable a good distance off the floor. Has anyone out there seen or done this? I have heard of posts/winches being situated between the front seat and I have two captains seats in my T5 so this is feasible, preferably on a clip in/out system. I have a friend who can do the fixing and fabrication, I just need to feed him with ideas, so all suggestions welcome. UKM.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
You *******, I used to ride my 996sps straight into the back of my van, not thought about it for years, sold it to a guy who owned a restaurant in Poland, apparently it's on show there to this day.

I fecking loved that bike.

As yours is a cheaply priced bike, I would go for a winch from machine mart and use plastic bolts to the bulkhead.

I now want another Duc!!!

Ignore any technical advice I just gave.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The type of front wheel chock advised above works well, I use handlebar tie downs, but it's also best to tie down at the rear to stop the bike pivoting on the front wheel in an emergency stop/accident (don't ask me how I know!)

With regards to the winch, I knew of someone who used a winch that clipped on the overcab shelf on his Ford Transit in 2 positions to load 2 bikes - so it has been done! From memory, he bought a cheap 12v Chinese winch from ebay, his wife would operate the switch - but a remote option was available. I'll email him to see if he can remember which one he bought & get back to you

I regularly used my T5 to transport bikes but always had assistance to load them, I found stepping up into the van whilst ducking down was the hardest bit. That said, the mechanic in my local bike shop loaded my Gixer 750 in my T5 easily by himself - but then he is used to manoeuvring bikes

Since then, I bought a bigger van & can load bijes quite easily, but I still normally get assistance when loading the Gixer thou. The thought of the damage to bike & van if it falls off the ramp doesn't bear thinking about!

View attachment 176242
View attachment 176243
My mate got back to me, the winch he uses is this one:

He uses a loop of webbing around the front forks with the winch mounted to the over cab shelf in a RWD Transit. He has set up the winch so it clips in to 2 different positions to load 2 bikes side by side. The bikes are honda 400 vfr & a Triton. He is more than happy to demo the system to you, he lives in South Wales.

As his Tansit is RWD the floor height is much higher than the the VW, so it would be worth mocking something up to work out where best to mount a winch in your VW

Or you could just get one of these & just lift it in:

·
Registered
12 Posts
How about looking to see if anyone is breaking a razorback. They were used a lot by motorcycle recovery companies so they may have everything you need in one place. Just a thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Milo,
I had an SPS too which I sold and have regretted that move ever since, but I wouldn't buy another one. Strangely enough though, if I still had it, I think I would ride it a lot!
Anymore helpful suggestions on mounting pints (oops) for the winch?
Ukmoaning-goose 🕉

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Hey Milo,
I had an SPS too which I sold and have regretted that move ever since, but I wouldn't buy another one. Strangely enough though, if I still had it, I think I would ride it a lot!
Anymore helpful suggestions on mounting pints (oops) for the winch?
Ukmoaning-goose 🕉

I couldn't justify the amount of money a new Ducati would cost, however if I kept I would still be riding it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The OP has got me thinking about my motorcycle loading methods - I consider myself a reasonably fit pensioner, but as I plan on biking into my 90’s (at least) maybe it's time for an easier solution:

I came across this:

Video here:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts