VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van has started not starting every now and again.

Get in in the morn,glow plug light out,cold start lever slightly out and she starts 1st time on the key.

Every now and again over the last 2 months,when i start the van at various points in the day,she will not start.
Turns over and over going to fire but wont,keep trying for a few mins,even keeping key turned on so engine is turning over,then after while you can feel it starting to go,then it starts.
Even had the oil light sound the other day,after turning over and over on the key,got worriered.
oil level and water level fine though

sounds like it could be fuel,even turns and fires.
no probs when driving or power loss

any idea????

am i looking at fuel do you think....maybe fuel filter,injectors etc...worth trying some injector cleaner or like???

help please,not the biggest prob,but feel it might get worse and strand me somewhere.:eek:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Most likely drain back...check the pipes from the fuel filter are all tight or for what it costs just change the filter and put new clips on not a big or expensive job.

I had a tdi that just wouldn't fire just turned and turned with no smoke out the exhaust so i changed the filter as it was well over due and it fired. Has been mint since.

·
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had a pm back from paul ss on this as well...........general consenis is fuel filter i.e drain back or new one or as paul said could be imobiliser in key playing up.
thanks lads will use i different key today,see how i go...and think the filter will get changed..has not been done for a while.:ILU:

·
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tried the spare key to day,made no differnece,started fine this morn,then parked and moved van about 2.30.....would not start..

If i keep the key turned and a few attempts the van seems to start,turns over an over then fires.......feels and sounds like fuel???

Fuel filter next i think.:ILU:

How easy to do yourself??.Do i need to cap the pipes when removing,how does fuel not come out....

Never done a newer style fuel filter before..

:ILU:

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Simon, also check leak off pipes on the injectors. They become porous and start seaping allowing drain back.
Changing filter is easy, just fill the new one up with injector cleaner before putting the pipes back on.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Had a few 1.9 and 2.4's with this problem Simon,its usually air getting in the fuel system somewhere and eventually bleeding out and then the motor will start.Try changing the fuel filter like you said and whilst doing it replace the thermo fuel return valve that slots into the top of the filter and check the in and out pipes on the filter dont have split ends and are held in place with good jubilee clips.
Here's a pic of the filter top,the thermo return valve is beneath the blue R-clip,the thin white pipe is from the injector leakback pipes check these at the injectors for wetness and or loose fitting due to perishing rubber.Either can promote air ingression.
Its not likely to be the Key transponder immobiliser as it wouldnt start after cranking for a while.
With the engine running take a look at the high pressure pipes at the injectors for any dampness and bubbles,they should be bone dry.However they can let air in without letting fuel out so a little nip with a 17mm spanner could also help.

Good luck with it hope you get it sortedT:

·
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update....

Have not changed filter yet.

But yesterday the van would not start again.

this will be hard to explain,but i will try.

When looking in the engine everything is tight and seems to be dry,nipped the injectors with 17mm,all seemed tight and fine.

the white clear pipe that connects to the injectors is not totally full with fuel,when cranking the engine the pipe sucks feul and fills up,the engine turns over,then when stopped the pipe empties a little bit

gradually after about the 3 or 4 attempts at starting,each time more and more fuel seems to be in the pipe when stopping cranking?

Finally the engine will fire and the pipe is obviously full,when turning off then the pipe seems to stay full.

Should this pipe be full all the time? is this what is ment by drain back,that the pipe empties sighlty...??

Sorry hard to explain.

simon.

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
im gonna throw a mad one in here but see what you think, there is a 80amp fuse in the engine bay in a little black fuse box, ive seen a couple of 2.4s where this fuse is cracked so it looks in one piece, do me a favour, the fuse is about 50p change it and see if that makes a difference, if im wrong im sorry and ill give you the 50p back at next show i see you at

·
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im gonna throw a mad one in here but see what you think, there is a 80amp fuse in the engine bay in a little black fuse box, ive seen a couple of 2.4s where this fuse is cracked so it looks in one piece, do me a favour, the fuse is about 50p change it and see if that makes a difference, if im wrong im sorry and ill give you the 50p back at next show i see you at

dont go throwing mad ones in the pot mate.......:eek:

cheers mate,will give it ago,sounds defo like fuel though as a few have told me,does that fuse affect this?

just trying to sort the cheapest options 1st,before i start spending cash i dont have..

cheers lads,help like this is what makes this forum great....A:A:

·
13,223 Posts
dont go throwing mad ones in the pot mate.......:eek:

cheers mate,will give it ago,sounds defo like fuel though as a few have told me,does that fuse affect this?

just trying to sort the cheapest options 1st,before i start spending cash i dont have..

cheers lads,help like this is what makes this forum great....A:A:
well as i have no techs here with me i can tell you what the fuse does, but heres what makes it a bit strange, we had a customer with a p reg 2.4, did here fuel injection pump a few months back and it starts doing what you describe, so i pop up to her house with a jump pack, take my senior tech with me coz i dont want to be alone with her (shes a bit full on and i think she might take me hostage) we jump start the vehicle, tech says have you seen this fuse (im sure its a glow plug or fuel relay fuse) pop back, grab a fuse, change it, its got the smallest crack you could ever imagine, vehicle starts and runs on the button every time....wierd!

so 50ps got to be the cheapest option so far?

·
13,223 Posts
i think its on the drivers side somewhere............ ill phone me tech and ask him

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
small bubbles are acceptable.

Fuel line half full is not - you must have a leak somewhere. It may not be obvious because an air leak in the return line will bring the same problems

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had a similar thing on mine, turned out it was the fuel pump leaking by the throttle cable bit..
I only found it when it blew big time :)
Had that annoying starting thing for about 6 months...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts