VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so when cold my 1.9td t4 sometimes fires and sometimes doesn't. Now ive very recently had a new engine fitted, including glow plugs so im 99% its not the plugs. The battery is good and is sending 10.5 -11v to the plugs. Even with the cold start lever pulled out it still wont fire up after several goes.

Eventually it will start and when its hot/warm it has no problem starting.

So im lost, got fuel, power, glow plugs, starter working i believe.

Need to know what to check next, my thoughts are

fuel cut off solenoid ?
glow plug relay although i get a light on the dash?
fuel pump?

thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Pump timing may be retarded, very common when people change a cambelt and don't load the pump pulley up properly when timing up.

Lock pump with 6mm pin/bolt/drill end, Slacken pulley bolts, get screwdriver in flywheel inspection hole and lever the flywheel backward a tooth. Tighten pulley bolts.

DO NOT TIGHTEN OR LOOSEN PULLEY BOLT WITH JUST THE LOCKING PIN IN PLACE - YOU NEED TO HOLD THE PULLEY SHAFT STILL WITH A 19mm RING SPANNER ON THE CENTRE BOLT!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply!

i spoke to the mechanic you did the job and he reckoned it would be causeing a problom all the time if it was pump timing, some times it starts absolutely fine??

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be air leaking into the fuel line from the fuel filter connections. Check for air bubbles in the clear tube by the filter when cranking over. Good luck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Also had this cold start problem was using quick start into to air intake to get it going.... since had some of the wiring re done... and insulated not had a problem since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pump timing may be retarded, very common when people change a cambelt and don't load the pump pulley up properly when timing up.

Lock pump with 6mm pin/bolt/drill end, Slacken pulley bolts, get screwdriver in flywheel inspection hole and lever the flywheel backward a tooth. Tighten pulley bolts.

DO NOT TIGHTEN OR LOOSEN PULLEY BOLT WITH JUST THE LOCKING PIN IN PLACE - YOU NEED TO HOLD THE PULLEY SHAFT STILL WITH A 19mm RING SPANNER ON THE CENTRE BOLT!
This sorted my cold starting out a treat. From looking through the paperwork that came with my van, I see that it had a belt, and fuel pump seal just before I bought it, so guess they didn't check the timing after.

It ran and started fine most of the time before I did it, it just didn't like cold mornings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers guys, yeah my neighbour, whos been my mechanic all my life but couldn't do the engine swap has said the same thing, Thinks the injector timeing is slightly out and is also the reason its extra gutless uphill.

Will see if it does the trick!

·
Registered
10 Posts
cheers guys, yeah my neighbour, whos been my mechanic all my life but couldn't do the engine swap has said the same thing, Thinks the injector timeing is slightly out and is also the reason its extra gutless uphill.

Will see if it does the trick!
It did sort my vans hill climbing ability out a treat, so does sound like it might be the problem. T:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts