VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My beloved T5 2.5l T32 (2009) has just been dropped off at the garage to investigate intermittent exhaust smell coming into the cab. This really only happens if I'm sitting in traffic and seems to be ok on the road.
Weirdly it doesn't seem to happen all the time.

I queried the issue at the garage and asked for a "ballpark" scenario just so I'm prepared and they have suggested it could be more serious than the exhaust manifold in that they might need to take the engine out to replace a "head bolt" or something. I did a bit of digging and understand that pre 2003 models were prone to issues with the gasket as they were made with substandard materials but after that they should be ok.
The guy at the garage said that because the newer models were made with stronger stuff the bit to go is this bolt or something which means taking the engine out.
They have suggested if it's this it's 2 days work (£500) plus parts I assume.

I'm not very clued up about this stuff as you can tell from this post!! I guess I'm after a bit of reassurance or something from you fine people on this forum that I'm not being screwed over!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jonny

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
If it is a broken manifold stud most VW dealers/independents use a right angle drill and usually you can get them out in place but it's not easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is a broken manifold stud most VW dealers/independents use a right angle drill and usually you can get them out in place but it's not easy.
Thanks Martin, I've just had a call from the garage, they have confirmed there are exhaust fumes coming into the cab, they wanted my approval to start the dismantling process to investigate further but warned me I might not get the van back today! Fingers crossed it's simpler than I'm fearing.
Cheers for the reply.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 5.1 is in for the same symptoms. It turned out to be that the pipe from the exhaust to EGR had split.
£40 for the pipe + 1h labour. £100 all in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 5.1 is in for the same symptoms. It turned out to be that the pipe from the exhaust to EGR had split.
£40 for the pipe + 1h labour. £100 all in.
That sounds like an easy fix and probably welcome relief to you! Based on the fact that I haven't heard anything from the garage yet I'm assuming that mine is a little more serious than that! Still got my fingers crossed. Thanks for letting me know though, it gives me a glimmer of hope still :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 2009 174 5-pot had the same problem (BPC engine code). Main dealer quoted half a day / £200 and had it for about a week.

Even though the BPC engine has the later cast manifold they still insisted I had to have a new one, (old one was slightly warped), but the main problem is normally the "doughnut" gasket on the turbo to exhaust spigot leaking.

Ended-up costing me about £500. Original bill was £800 odd, but I moaned like hell to VW Customer Disservice and they offered some goodwill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2009 174 5-pot had the same problem (BPC engine code). Main dealer quoted half a day / £200 and had it for about a week.

Even though the BPC engine has the later cast manifold they still insisted I had to have a new one, (old one was slightly warped), but the main problem is normally the "doughnut" gasket on the turbo to exhaust spigot leaking.

Ended-up costing me about £500. Original bill was £800 odd, but I moaned like hell to VW Customer Disservice and they offered some goodwill.
I'm still waiting to hear.... it's been a full day so far and no news. In this case "no news" isn't "good news" as it's costing me money as each hour ticks by!
I'm in their hands really but at least the replies on the forum are arming me with knowledge!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Exhaust manifold to turbo gasket. It's a mushroom type gasket that sits on the turbo flange. Common fault with the 2.5. Mine is a 2007 and just replaced mine. Nightmare of a job to do the first time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, apparently the exhaust manifold studs haven't broken but the exhaust manifold gasket has gone and the turbo gasket, there is also warping of the turbo charger. They said they can drill the studs out and replace gaskets which will cost £396 but they have recommended I replace the turbo at the same time or it could go completely 2 or 3 years down the line and I would have to pay the about for it all over again. The turbo is £650 + VAT.
So, total cost of around £1150. I'm in their hands really, as much as I hate not being able to make an informed decision I just have to trust these guys and hope I'm not being screwed over.
I'm assuming the turbo will be a new one and not reconditioned.

Just thought I'd keep the thread updated.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
So, apparently the exhaust manifold studs haven't broken but the exhaust manifold gasket has gone and the turbo gasket, there is also warping of the turbo charger. They said they can drill the studs out and replace gaskets which will cost £396 but they have recommended I replace the turbo at the same time or it could go completely 2 or 3 years down the line and I would have to pay the about for it all over again. The turbo is £650 + VAT.
So, total cost of around £1150. I'm in their hands really, as much as I hate not being able to make an informed decision I just have to trust these guys and hope I'm not being screwed over.
I'm assuming the turbo will be a new one and not reconditioned.

Just thought I'd keep the thread updated.
I would double check the turbo is new and not a recon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would double check the turbo is new and not a recon.
Thanks Martin, just double checked and apparently it is a new one as a recon wasn't available. Not entirely sure how I'm going to know if it's new or not. Again - I'm in their hands!
The garage in question is VeeW Services in Bristol. They have had positive reviews and my three previous visits to them have all been positive so I guess I have no reason to doubt their advice especially as I'm more use to pushing a computer mouse around than tinkering with engines!
Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Why do they want to drill out the studs if they're not broken?

I've just had all mine apart for the same problem. The manifold was blowing through 2 ports but it all came apart. Cleaned the studs up really well, had the manifold refaced, turbo serviced and put it all back together.

Manifold refacing from a local machine shop cost £50 vs about £500 for a new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why do they want to drill out the studs if they're not broken?

I've just had all mine apart for the same problem. The manifold was blowing through 2 ports but it all came apart. Cleaned the studs up really well, had the manifold refaced, turbo serviced and put it all back together.

Manifold refacing from a local machine shop cost £50 vs about £500 for a new one.
Hi Phil, it's all done now. I quite possibly got my words mixed up regarding the drilling the studs out. I've been told so many things "could" be wrong I've lost track of what actually was wrong!
Anyway, I picked it up from the garage yesterday £1150 poorer once all the bits that needed replacing have been counted for plus new oil etc. Seems like a lot of money to me but I'm not experienced enough to know any different. I can only put my trust in these guys and hope they have done what they have charged me for, if so, it should be good for many many years to come. If not... I'll be back!!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Hi Phil, it's all done now. I quite possibly got my words mixed up regarding the drilling the studs out. I've been told so many things "could" be wrong I've lost track of what actually was wrong!
Anyway, I picked it up from the garage yesterday £1150 poorer once all the bits that needed replacing have been counted for plus new oil etc. Seems like a lot of money to me but I'm not experienced enough to know any different. I can only put my trust in these guys and hope they have done what they have charged me for, if so, it should be good for many many years to come. If not... I'll be back!!
Fair enough. They may have just been preparing you for worst case scenario of the studs snapping. I hadn't quite worked out a plan B if mine had snapped!

Tbh that price doesn't sound too bad including a new turbo. Think I spent about £600 (replaced a couple of extra bits while it was apart) and that's with just a turbo service and obviously no labour.

I'd want about £500 if I was doing it for someone else!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts