VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 2013 T5.1 Caravelle and have an issue with a loud noise from the Fan Heater / Blower in the front.

What happens is... when I have the direction of the fans pointed to blow out of the main dash ( 3 o'clock position on the direction dial ), after about 2 mins a noise starts like that of having a playing card in your bike back wheel, I change the position to only come out of the top vents ( 12 o'clock on the direction dial ) the noise stops - and when I move it back to the 3 o'clock position it stays quiet for about 2 mins and then starts getting loud again.

This noise is there for all the directions on the dial apart from coming out of the windshield vents, which on a hot day like today is pointless...

This is an annoyance more than anything, you don't realise just how loud it is until you either turn the fan off or change the vents to the windscreen.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

·
Special Rapporteur
9,775 Posts
Have you checked your pollen filter to see if you've had any nest-building intruders? They sometimes chew a hole straight through to get into the plenum behind.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had this recently with my 14 plate. I tried oiling the bearings as per the link but ended up replacing the fan in the end because I could see I'd end up having to repeat the lubrication every few months. Not a noise you want to ignore because the resistor blows once the bearings get too sticky and it's not cheap to replace. Neither is the fan but at least VW gave me some discount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts