VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ... wondering if anyone can offer any advice on a starting problem i have.

Haven't owned her long but she seems to have either glow plugs or fuel cut off on start up ...

Had AA out to her a couple of days ago and the nice man said it was an old immobilizer system that was left in place. Old immobilizer was a AVITAL Maxx 2.

This has since been removed and all wires reconnected... But same problem remains ... Starts 8 times out of 10

Anybody had similar problems and if so what was the cure ?? ... going to check all earth points tomorrow but any help greatly appreciated :) Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi ive just sorted mine, don't know if its the same but it was the ignition switch @ the back of the barrel, what i did was install a push button starter, the symtoms was ignition lights would come on but just not turn the engine over somtimes, if your really forcefull with the key it would work 8 out of 10 times. If it is that then the switch part is cheap to buy but i just wanted to upgrade anyway. Hope this helps

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Alpine100 ... But she still turns over :) Tried to start her last night and nothing ... Just kept turning over without firing ... then this morning without doing anything to her she just starts ?? Bit of a strange one tbh ... Off to Eden in her today so will call AA if she doesn't start again... Will post back if i find the problem. Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Sounds like glow plug relay to me. What engine is it. On mine I ignore the glow plug light, I listen for the relay to click off and then it fires up immediately. I had a similar issue to yours, took out the relay, gave it a tap and it works a treat. Will get round to replacing it one day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like glow plug relay to me. What engine is it. On mine I ignore the glow plug light, I listen for the relay to click off and then it fires up immediately. I had a similar issue to yours, took out the relay, gave it a tap and it works a treat. Will get round to replacing it one day.
Sounds like this could be possible ?? Was fine all day today .. is the 1.9 diesel engine.

Which relay is the glow plug one ?

Thanks for all replies :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts