VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently when i come to start the van (2.5 88bhp 2003) it just clicks. I can turn the key and like i say it just clicks like the battery is flat but on the second attempt it will start fine with plenty of power to turn the starter. Does not matter if cold or warm. Seems to be getting worse with me having to turn the key several times before it starts.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
check for loose terminal / wire connections on the startermotor?

also worth doing a resistance test on the main battery live lead (from battery to starter) - if you wish to isolate the battery (+ve & -ve) main leads to the startermotor & engine earth, can overlay jumpleads from battery (+ve terminal to starter solenoid & -ve terminal to engine or gearbox case, this 4will show if the origonal vw leads are damaged or high-resistance without removal & using an Ohm-meter)

sotra??:*

I:

Rich.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,975 Posts
Ignition switch is a common fault, and cheap to replace.
Mine failed 2 months after I bought the van......from a dealer so was changed under warranty.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well yesterday came to use the van and it just would not turn over at all, just clicking once every time. Charged the battery today and looked over all the cables which seem fine. Still the same. Took off the positive cable and gave the contacts a sand down, also the negative. After this it started straight away so cheers chaps. Still not sure what the problem was with the cables as they all seemed fine :*

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This has slowly reared its ugly head again. Will after take the terminals off the battery and give them a clean up. Weird how it fixed it but it's back again :*

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check/replace Relay 109. This was cause of my internittant starting problems eventually resulting in an AA recovery ride to a garage. Was advised by garage to buy and carry a spare 109 relay since in their experience it is a frquent source of problems. Cost of spare about £20. Far cheaper than the two hours of garage time it took them to identify the source of the problem. There are posts on the forum how to check the relay 109 if you wish to or just change it anyway.
Alleygater

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers mate I'll look into that. I'll give all the main contacts leading to the starter a good wire brushing first.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cleaned all contacts and earth leading to chassis today, nothing!
Fiddled with ignition switch, nothing!
Took off and cleaned cables attached to starter motor again and voila, started.
I just do not know how that is solving it (FOR NOW) as they all have good contact before I took them off.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
On the starter check the connection from the solenoid to the motor it looks like a bit of braided cable normally,undo the nut and make sure it's clean,common thing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the starter check the connection from the solenoid to the motor it looks like a bit of braided cable normally,undo the nut and make sure it's clean,common thing.
Cheers mate I did do that which (I think) didn't do last time. We will see how it goes, hopefully that might of done it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And its back! Doing my head in. I thought it had done it this time as the starter motor was spinning faster and stronger but no, clicked on the first turn last night.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still have this problem. Taking about 6/7 turns of the key for it to fire the starter motor. Tried bridging a starter lead from the earth straight to the negative on the battery which made it a lot batter but still getting a click every odd turn.

Would changing the starter motor sort this do you reckon? I'm thinking the starter/soliniod are on the last legs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the tips folks. I got racked off today and a £100 lighter but I now have a new Bosch starter and a van that starts :ILU: probably was the soliniod but I just didn't have time to source one and repair.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts