VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having major issues with my internet, can only get it to 256kb speed, not the beset when i'm paying for BT braodband with up to 20M speeds.

I'm not a million miles from an exchange so no idea why it's so slow.

I'm not very tech minded with PC's so no idea where to start!?

Fed up of phoning India to try and sort it out!

Any ideas would be nice, THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
898 Posts
If your phone line has been tested and is ok then check all cables,swap the asdl filter,reset the router and check settings,maybe try another phone cable to router.
Good luck:)

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I had all sorts of hassle recently like this...spent 4 hrs one day talking to India etc....in the end it turned out to be our .....sh!t forget what its called..the bit that plugs into the socket...anyway after a lot of moaning got a free upgrade to a home hub...all ok now..nice and fast and wireless..T:

router thats it....lol

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
What time of day are you getting these speeds? The net connection can slow down early evening when people get home from work (think of road conjestion).
Are you having more than 1 pc using your connection? Your wife using another PC with the same connection to the net.
Is your router encrypted (had to enter a password to get online) or not? If it isn't then you may have one of your neighbours logging onto your router & using your connection without your knowledge. They could even be downloading large files or file sharing, which would cause your speed to drop.
There is also the issue of contention rates. This is to do with the number of users logged onto the server at the exchange. You cannot do anything about this unless you want to pay alot of money to your provider. It boils down to this. All ADSL services are contended (shared). A contention rate of 50:1 means for every 1Mbps connection there are 50 users connected to it. If one of them is downloading a large file (say 5gb - something iffy) then everybody else's connection speed will suffer. It goes on the thinking that your connection is shared with other users, as you are not normally constantly downloading. You will download a page, stop to read it, then go somewhere else. Whilst you are reading the page, then somebody else is downloading. So you can see if somebody is hogging the system, everbody else will suffer for it.
Hope this helps.T:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'd offer the following:

Unplug all splitters and telephones from their sockets leaving the computer one and an analogue phone connected to the computer one (ie remove all digital phones)
Connect to the internet and test performance.
Ring normal BT and ask them to do a thourough line test on your line. If they say it is ok, I think they can do a line reset too (basically turn it off and on again)
If it is still an issue then ask the english BT to transfer you to someone who can help. If you get a good telephonist they will be able to help, unfortunately it takes time. All the time, take not of the numbers of the departments you are transfered to.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The line if very crackly with a BT FREESTYLE Digital cordless phone....

Tried 3 different filters with no sucess.... Replaced the cable from the BT socket to the Home Hub, no difference. There are no other sockets in the house anywhere.

One strange thing is that the internet will not connect at all often, the only way we can make it do so is to engage the phone line by just pressing the green button and achieve a dial tone, this seems to kick start the internet!?

I'm really struggling now and don't seem to be able to get through to BT in this country!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts