VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't put my van (2012 T5.1) into first gear until it comes to a halt without a loud crunch. I don't think it used to be like this, but I might be wrong...
Anyone else's van do this? It's not really a problem coasting to a halt in second and then straight into neutral, but I wonder if this is the start of a problem. The van had a new clutch three months ago, and apart from this the box is perfect.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
3rd what Roger said. Putting it into 1st when you are still just about moving is a severe test for the synchromesh but it's one it should be able to pass if the box is perfect. No crunching sounds are normal for a modern gearbox unless the clutch is not freeing properly or you are doing something silly. Oil quality/grade might make cold changes notchy but no bad crunches should be heard.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Important to listen out for any new noises then because if you ignore gearbox problems they go from almost reasonable to HOW MUCH!! before you notice. :(

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I would definitely drain and flush the oil to try and remove any debris in an attempt to prolong the wallet contents

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
I had a golf that did this between 2-3, car had covered 100k plus. I thought it wouldn’t hurt to drain and replace the “lifetime” oil. Fixed it a treat No probs 20k on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts