VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My name's Jemima and I'm living in West Cork, Ireland.

I just became the proud and dauntless owner of a 2000 T4, which I have lovingly named "Rusty". Pictures to follow although anyone reading this before I get the pics together can make a wild guess as to why!!

Yup, shes a rust bucket... I actually found this forum while I was looking up rust repair and came across someones thread entitled "Rust bucket of doom"...Dude, that rust problem pales in comparison....but apart from that she needs a new exhaust, a new rear door and boot catch and some good old fashioned T.L.C.... I think...

This is my first time taking on anything like this but she was incredibly cheap and I felt it was worth it...Or I am completely mad and its a hopeless case... Either way I'll have fun trying...

Looking forward to meeting you all on the forum and learning how to strip 'er down and polish her up during this journey! Expect plenty of questions from this corner!!

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Welcome aboard Jemima, always good to restore one of these and save it from the scrap heap. Will be a enjoyable and frustrating journey but well worth it. Look forward to seeing your progress (y)

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,336 Posts
Buy yourself some good overalls, with deep pockets. :whistle:

"Little" jobs always end up "big" jobs, but if you can do the work, it's VERY satisfying at the end.

Good luck with your project.(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey guys,
Thanks so much for the warm words of welcome and encouragement!
I'll put these in the show off/progress forum too but as promised, here is Rusty's debut photo shoot!

So there's plenty to do... First I'm going to strip out the entire interior and give it all a good clean...already started wit the bulkhead and the paneling... Then start dealing with the rust spots inside.
Anyone got a spare boot catch?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
That is definitely a project! But with enough time and money, anything is possible. Each little bit you replace / fabricate will feel like a huge step forward. Plus looks like you have some keen apprentices to help.
Best of luck, and remember to ask if unsure, so much knowledge on here. (y)

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,336 Posts
As Pd says...a "project", but we've seen worse!
Personally, I hate bodywork/painting (can't do it!!)....even washing requires one of those drive in things at a garage!
Mechanical/electrical is OK for me. (I get my Polish lodger on the "other" stuff!)

Apart from a few "dents/bonks/rust...oops" it looks pretty good....
Just get it up on a lift, and get a look at the underside before starting on the top. :rolleyes:

The rear end (boot catch) actually looks like it may need a replacement rear member....they DO rot!
If there's nothing left to mount a "new" catch to, it's either a welding job (but if that section is gone, the whole length will probably be rotted out...), or a replacement..they are available.

Just spend as much time as you can "investigating".

BTW, against popular belief, Guinness does NOT cure rust.....only the depression it causes. :D

Try doing updates, asking questions in the "Bodywork and Exterior" section....there will be more help there (and more articles.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rear member? Meaning the whole floor bit under the boot catch?? 😶
Erp...

Well... I knew I was taking on a steep learning curve... Luckily my step father has a wealth of welding experience he's willing to pass on!

I have the time... and the apprentices as u say... Money? Ha!! Don't make me laugh... Contacts? I can dig around the woodwork... Might be a scrappy or two in there! 😉

Will check out the bodywork section- thanks for the referral!

Doing some more "investigating" tomorrow... Thankfully initial investigation revealed wholly intact and rust free wheel arches!! I think the three inch thick mud build up had actually been protecting them on the underside for several years! Hoping that the rest of the panelling and floor will yield similar results...

Is it OK to continue posting progress here? Or is there another thread better suited?

Really glad I found this forum BTW... And thanks again for friendly chat and welcome! 😎

P.S. Guinness might not cure everything... But that's why I drink Beamish 😁

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Having a welder in the family will help no end with this project (y)
Feel free to continue posting in this thread, there are build sections on here that we tend to keep our progress threads, one of the admin team can move this thread into the T4 SWB area where you'll find other build threads, there are some very impressive T4 fully rebuilds that you will find helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Pull off the black plastic cover on the doorsteps to the driver and passenger doors and have a look underneath.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts