VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been looking at buying an inverter 500w plus which obviously come with the crocodile clips. The cables appear very short- has anyone overcome this to fit the inverter under the drivers seat? Pics/suggestions would be a great help

·
Registered
161 Posts
hi there

ive come accross this problem too,the two thick cables on my invertor can be unscrewed im thinking of buying a set of jump leads they come in various sizes and cutting off the crocodile clips so i have cable of a similar diameter and tracking down new ring connectors so i can reconnect back to the invertor and battery i think this will do the job its the way im thinking of going anyway, hope this helps ally

·
Registered
190 Posts
Most car audio dealers (don't know about halfords) will have all the wiring/connectors/fuses etc that you will need. Most will be able give you a bit of advice on locating invertor etc. hope thats some help

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi there

ive come accross this problem too,the two thick cables on my invertor can be unscrewed im thinking of buying a set of jump leads they come in various sizes and cutting off the crocodile clips so i have cable of a similar diameter and tracking down new ring connectors so i can reconnect back to the invertor and battery i think this will do the job its the way im thinking of going anyway, hope this helps ally
This is what we have currently got:

Is this the kind of thing you were thinking of?

Stumbled across these pics of the same inverter as ours when trying to work out how to fit it. We bought an 800w inverter today from argos reduced to £54

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
look at the first picture, the cables are that size and that short for a reason, if you want to make them longer they need to be bigger, certianly not any smaller!

you'd be safer to install the inverter with as short a cable as it possible and then extend the mains side if needed.

putting very small cable on it like the second picture is only going to be slightly slower than throwing a match in if you want to set fire to stuff

·
Registered
11 Posts
your best option if you want to get longer cables is to go to somewher that sells welders as they usuall sell the welder cable off a roll and get some 25mm2 welding cable as this will take 100 amps and will be ample for your inverter, this is what i have done on mine, you probably also want to run it in some flexible tube to protect the cable from rubbbing on the metal work,

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have to agree with Discodave the wire in the second pic is way,way to thin i'm surprised it lasted longenough to take photo. Does the inverter have a built in fuse and if so what size is it? also are you running it from main starter battery or a second leisure one?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all your comments, even I was concerned about the cable thickness in the 2nd pic and would definitely not go for something like that. It does have a built in fuse, not sure of the size without going out to look. It will be fitted to the main battery not a leisure one as usually stay on sites with mains hook up.

I think we might make do with the short cables, and could we then use a standard extension cable to run a socket to behind the drivers seat? Can anyone confirm where the "grommet" is that we would use to run it into the cab?

·
Registered
138 Posts
hi there when you install your inverter make sure you fit a seperate fuse holder inline with in 12" of what ever battery you connect it to even if it has a fuse in the unit itself so it protects the cable as well and keep the cables secure as much as poss iam a audio installer by trade and done loads of these, i went to a show once and a guy put one under his seat and didnt fuse it pulled his seat foward and bang messed the whole car up he had to jump out and rip the cables off the battery not wanting to worry you hope this helps cheers lee:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts