VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Looking for a bit of help with a VW iPod Connection kit.

When I bought the van new (delivered just before Xmas) I also ordered the iPod connection kit, which the dealer fitted.

I also specced the upgraded radio - the 310 I think it is, not the all-singing 510.

All fits nice in the glovebox, but the head unit does not display track names.

Very old iPod I have so thinking it might be that, I bought a new one, and still no bloody good.

Is this because

a) the VW iPod kit in NBG and out of date
b) the head unit is (although the manual says it will display track info from a Data CD)
c) none of the above, not installed right

Feeling a teeny bit miffed to have spent all that money on the connection and a new iPod and still can't navigate around the tracks.

Adam

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm.... is there is an interface which will allow / make the 310 show track info? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Your basically seeking an "interface" that is going to trans-code (on the fly in real time) the proprietary comms language that Apple use for Ipod control/display info into the CD Text/Data standard (which never really took off in the first place) that the 310 can read.

Obviously I will bow to Upspex superior knowledge as it's his profession but I suspect he is correct there is no interface capable of this as the demand was never there and /or it would be bloody expensive as it would involve a fair amount of clever electronics and coding to enable it to do what was required.

Welcome to the 21st century where todays "must have" is tomorrows "old hat" we live in interesting times. A:

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Chaps

It's a shame really as the Dension website suggests that it is possible with a Dension 100 and the 310 in an EOS or Golf, and as the 310 head unit can display data from MP3 disks (I believe) you would think it could cope with the data.

Looks like I may have to save my pennies to change the head unit.

A

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I have a pioneer unit, full iPod intergration, head unit works exactly like iPod, touch screen, scrolls, plays video, touch screen slider to move through tracks etc

AVH 3200 BT is model codeT:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hello All

Looking for a bit of help with a VW iPod Connection kit.

When I bought the van new (delivered just before Xmas) I also ordered the iPod connection kit, which the dealer fitted.

I also specced the upgraded radio - the 310 I think it is, not the all-singing 510.

All fits nice in the glovebox, but the head unit does not display track names.

Very old iPod I have so thinking it might be that, I bought a new one, and still no bloody good.

Is this because

a) the VW iPod kit in NBG and out of date
b) the head unit is (although the manual says it will display track info from a Data CD)
c) none of the above, not installed right

Feeling a teeny bit miffed to have spent all that money on the connection and a new iPod and still can't navigate around the tracks.

Adam
Hi.
There is an interface available and its by vw and there are plenty on Ebay. You need the MDI interface. Plucked a number off Ebay ... 260710065124 so you can look at one. It DOES NOT however, come with the connection lead and vw dont do it....exhaustive investigations by me proved this. Kufatec in Germany do the lead. This does work and its fantastic. I've used this on my own van.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Cheers Chaps

It's a shame really as the Dension website suggests that it is possible with a Dension 100 and the 310 in an EOS or Golf, and as the 310 head unit can display data from MP3 disks (I believe) you would think it could cope with the data.

Looks like I may have to save my pennies to change the head unit.

A
Dension do an I-Pod connection displaying text and full head unit control. Its called the Gateway 100 and the part number differs from the non text displaying unit. It's part number GW16VC21..... or the Gateway 300 part number GW33V21. The Gateway 500 has been withdrawn because the software just doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks! I tried trawling some German forums but didn't get far - the old Google translation didn't really make it that intelligible :)

Saved me a big headache. T:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts