VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting stuck into sorting out a few electrical issues with my new velle first. This might explain my possessed central locking:

I've also replaced the front interior light and I'm ordering a central locking remote upgrade with alarm, and also a set of rear parking sensors. I've already replaced the cd player with a hands free Bluetooth Sony with a remote control so we can control it from the back of the van.
I am getting the velle ready for a camper conversion, and have already got some Ikea faktum units, a combined hob/sink and gas bottle and pipe. That should help me get it reclassified as a camper, which should drop the Irish road tax down fro about 800 euro a year down to 88....

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
aww man thats bad...

check the pics on my build and it will show u where they go... if you need me to take any one pics just ask its no probs, hope u get it sorted soon ...

when u get the cables sorted dont be tempted to bundle them up in tape the way they where cos i think this stresses the cables more when the door opens and closes, tape them individually for a bit of protection but just let them swing free in the rubber gaitor

get more pics up too i wanna see more of my vans twin lol

where did u get the remote for the sony head unit... i have on as well cant remember what it is possibly the bt2700 model, the bluetooth works well on it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Getting stuck into sorting out a few electrical issues with my new velle first. This might explain my possessed central locking:

I've also replaced the front interior light and I'm ordering a central locking remote upgrade with alarm, and also a set of rear parking sensors. I've already replaced the cd player with a hands free Bluetooth Sony with a remote control so we can control it from the back of the van.
I am getting the velle ready for a camper conversion, and have already got some Ikea faktum units, a combined hob/sink and gas bottle and pipe. That should help me get it reclassified as a camper, which should drop the Irish road tax down fro about 800 euro a year down to 88....
Going down the same route myself, will have to pay 13.3% of the OMSP to get it reclassified though.

Instead of the Ikea route, I'm planning on heading to T4Life to get kitted out. 2 hours from Holyhead which is not bad!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going down the same route myself, will have to pay 13.3% of the OMSP to get it reclassified!
is yours already classed as a private vehicle or as a cab? Mines private, so my understanding is that any vrt already paid will be subtracted from any more vrt required. As a big chunk got paid when it went from being a cab to private, the bill shouldn't be too big. That's the plan, anyway!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where did u get the remote for the sony head unit... i have on as well cant remember what it is possibly the bt2700 model, the bluetooth works well on it
We looked at that model, but plumped for the next model up as it came with the remote. We have an earlier version of this Sony in my wife's car and liked it; when we saw the current model half price at halfwits we went for it. I don't know if your model has the electrickery inside to do remote control. Maybe a quick web search would help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
is yours already classed as a private vehicle or as a cab? Mines private, so my understanding is that any vrt already paid will be subtracted from any more vrt required. As a big chunk got paid when it went from being a cab to private, the bill shouldn't be too big. That's the plan, anyway!
It's a private ex-Ambulance (Order of Malta), but I got it changed to an MPV on the logbook, so hopefully there's some VRT paid on it! Hoping to get mine reclassified by March next year, there's some Tax Offices still doing the visual inspections which might be a better route than having to send all the forms to the VRO Office in Rosslare.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I removed the central locking drivers door section of the loom from the velle. As well as the broken wiring, a previous owner had tried to fit an alarm into this bit. Looked like they had used a knife and fork. VW couldn't sell me the terminal ends, just a complete loom section for €143. So I got some seven core trailer cable, stripped out the inner cables to get the correct coloured cable for the door loom, and broke out my trusty old mains soldering iron. I had bought one of the little butane soldering irons, but gave up trying to get it to work after an hour.
A little while and a bit of heat shrink later, I had this:

All of the soldered joints are individually heat shrunk (?) and one big heat shrink put over the the joined areas. I made sure that they were kept well away from the stress area in the door hinge area where the last break happened. I left the loom uncovered and a little longer than standard to make future alarm fitting easier. Spot the colour coded tie wraps!
Here is it fitted to the door:

The central locking works a treat now. Over the next few weeks I'll be fitting an alarm which upgrades the central locking to remote, a set of parking sensors, converting a golf heater panel to fit the t4, and fitting a Smev hob/sink to ikea units to make a DIY kitchen pod type thing.:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be fair it was a complete door loom for a bus with central locking, electric mirrors and windows. He couldn't do just the central locking bit. Anyhow, I ended up buying just a few feet of trailer cable so got the job done for a fiver. And I only burnt myself once...T:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Well when I'm doing one again I'll defo be using the use the trailer wire but gonna leave it until I'm sticking the alarm in

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been busy collecting bits for my Velle, and will crack on with beginning to fit them over the next few days. On the list is a remote central locking and alarm kit, a set of rear parking sensors, a leather golf vr6 non airbag seering wheel, a pair of front captains seats and bases, a multivan seat base cup holder asembly and a pair of rear facing multivan buddy seats with armrests. Pics to follow. i also have a smev 917 hob/sink unit, gas bottle and all the pipework. i'll be looking at how to fit it behind the back seat to be accessed form outside through the tailgate, possibly in a lift out unit.:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, on with the multivan front seats and buddy seats:
first, a before pic.

Next, here's one of the floor plates for the buddy seats welded in:

Here's the seats being tried out by son number one:

And the fronts:

:):):)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
lookin good!! seats look nice n clean , toyed with the idea of buddy seats but couldnt be bothered welding the brackets so fair play to ya ....

where do the multivan seat base cup holders go? get some more pics up T:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Too dark for more pics tonight, maybe tomorrow. I have a cup holder; they fit on the side of the seat base and mount on the two holes which are probably already there. My problem is that my holder is off a lhd van, and due to the mouldings in the back of the cup holder it only sits flush on the left hand side of the seat base. If you mount it on the drivers base, it interferes with the handbrake. It can go on the right hand side of the left hand seat, but has to be spaced out a bit. It's no big deal, it just looks a bit odd.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ive found this thread, finally!

Well done nick, coming on a treat! Im pinin after my REIMO now get my job done!

Had an email from germany and my Nephew seems to be on the case, lets hope he gets his skates on otherwise ill be able to get them here in may!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice, ive taken the door card off my drivers side and the cables are split to bits, theyve just been taped up there was one that was was seperated and just twisted back together! and thats just the start, I might look into re-wiring these cables, have to have a look.

Theres a plastic base below the fuse board im sure this clips out would help when it comes to access!??

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Love that wheel was looking at the very same one on eBay and it was from a corrado but was unsure if it would fit, does it have small spline or big? Does it cancel indicators etc ? Is it a smaller wheel that te t4 one?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its a vr6 wheel out of a mk3 golf, but the corrado wheel is probably the same. Its a big spline wheel so my 97 needed an adapter. It came without a slip ring, so I bought part number 1H0419660 which costs about a tenner from VW and fits a 91-94 polo, a 92-95 golf, and a corrado/vr6. Its obviously non airbag. Its fractionally smaller than the t4 wheel, but doesnt obscure any dials. The slip ring needs a spacer making up to get it closer to the workings in the column, mine will need about 15mm or so. Round bit of ply, bonded to back of steering wheel and you bond the slip ring to that. Cut the rubber bit off a sink plunger (!) and trim it to neaten up the back of the wheel. My job for the weekend is to get the spacer made, then the horn and self cancelling will work.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Nice one :) I'm thinking you should do a how too lol ,.... so yours is a small spline my van is 03 so do you recon it would be the same? Suppose if I get a wheel with a large one it's just easy to fit a spline adaptor rather than getting a small spline and it not fit ... Love the way your vans coming along mate :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts