VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh dear I really don't know if I dare add any fuel to this here fire but I have 3 kids safety to consider so here goes!:ILU:

I recently bought a 1200 2.5 which the last guy fitted mk5 golf wheels too, it was delivered on a truck and only been moved around the paint shop so not been worried about the 205/55/16 91w fitted to it but it is nearly finished and want to sort the tires before the mot. I have looked high and low and can not find any 99 rated tires in that size so rang so rang the local tire place explained all this to him to be told 94w will be more than sufficiant! I would rather have what is reconmended but as they don't seem to be out there can anyone suggest a tire size that will work with my wheels yet be 99 load rated or higher?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Oh dear I really don't know if I dare add any fuel to this here fire but I have 3 kids safety to consider so here goes!:ILU:

I recently bought a 1200 2.5 which the last guy fitted mk5 golf wheels too, it was delivered on a truck and only been moved around the paint shop so not been worried about the 205/55/16 91w fitted to it but it is nearly finished and want to sort the tires before the mot. I have looked high and low and can not find any 99 rated tires in that size so rang so rang the local tire place explained all this to him to be told 94w will be more than sufficiant! I would rather have what is reconmended but as they don't seem to be out there can anyone suggest a tire size that will work with my wheels yet be 99 load rated or higher?
You will not find suitable load rated tyres in 205/55/16 because they simply don't exist...plus that size is too small for a T4 anyway.

205/60/16C's are available in 100 load rating.
215/60/16C's are available in 103 load rating.
225/55/16's are available in 99 load rating.

However....if you need 99 load rated tyres for your van then the alloys need to be load rated to the same amount as well...775kgs each...and MK5 Golf alloys are nowhere near that load rating....they could be as low as 550kgs each! I:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hmmmm!! just as a matter of interest, I: Just how many have changed their springs & of those that have how many have actually checked the springs are rated for the plated weight of their van :confused: This has to be just as big an issue as tyre load ratings I: After all if you change the springs for non standard you have probably lowered the weight carrying capacity & therefore the need to use high load rated tyres as the van is no longer capable of carrying its plated weight I:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Westlake SC328
WESTLAKE SC328 107/105T
Size: 205/65R16C
Speed: R
Load: 107/105T
Rating

Would these do the job then? I had thought about the load rating if the wheel and am still looking into that but would I not be right in saying that the load rating of the rubber is more critical as it is that which is most likely to give way?

A good point about the lowering springs too as the amount of people within my club who are running those crappy things off ebay is untrue which so far thankfully no one has come to harm with but there are decent lowering springs too like the vogtland set I got. Not that the van will ever really carry anything heavy but like I said in last post I have to be accountable for 3 kids so would rather spend a few quid more.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm with grey and grumpy. Please don't give up informing mate.

You must get "tyred" of the subject, but its dead important people are aware.

Keep up the good work. T:

What people choose to do with the info is up to them.

I am running under rated BBS alloys but that's my choice to ignore you.......

·
Registered
751 Posts
Westlake SC328
WESTLAKE SC328 107/105T
Size: 205/65R16C
Speed: R
Load: 107/105T
Rating

Would these do the job then? I had thought about the load rating if the wheel and am still looking into that but would I not be right in saying that the load rating of the rubber is more critical as it is that which is most likely to give way?
Yes those tyres would do the job but they are 19mm larger than the standard set up so will alter the speedo reading and gearing slightly.

As regards using them with non load rated wheels....yes the tyre will be the first thing to 'give way' but the fact still remains the wheels are not suitable for a commercial vehicle.
Ok you could run car wheels and commercial tyres for many many years with no issues at all...and it's obvious many people have...it doesn't make it right though.
Plus don't forget...in the case of any insurance claim you run a very big risk of the claim being instantly rejected due to having non load rated car wheels fitted on a van..

It's your choice though but I honestly don't see the point in spending time and money...some times many thousands... converting or modifying a van just to cut corners on the wheels or tyres.

If you know the part number of the alloys you've got post it up and I'll tell you the exact load rating....it definitely won't be anywhere near 775kgs that's for sure.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi g60steve, i have two sets of non standard alloys for my van and cant find any markings on them which state the load bearing weight, if i found the part numbers could you find out the rating? i'd rather know if there not suitable then i can start to hunt down some new wheelsT:

·
Registered
751 Posts
It may be possible to find the load rating Ash if there's a part number.....that's if they're from a VW,Audi etc?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just been having this chat today with my local VW van dealer as i fancied some new alloys for my new bus.

Seems on a weekly basis they are failing aftermarket alloys for cracks come MOT time on some of the custom vans.

I suppose it's better they find out now than on a hard stop on the motorway.

·
Registered
555 Posts
So sorry to jump on this but would 215 60 16s 99v xl reinforced be ok for my alloys I have. Sorry for ignorance but it seems a bit of a minefield for which tyres are right

·
Registered
751 Posts
So sorry to jump on this but would 215 60 16s 99v xl reinforced be ok for my alloys I have. Sorry for ignorance but it seems a bit of a minefield for which tyres are right
Yes as long as they're suitable for the weight of your van?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Both the alloys and tyres.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes as long as they're suitably load rated for your van.
Check the sticker on the landing panel of your van for the front and rear axle weights to see if the alloys and tyres are suitable or not.

99 load rated tyres are 775kgs each so suitable for axle weights upto 1550kgs.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,251 Posts
..... If you know the part number of the alloys you've got post it up and I'll tell you the exact load rating .......
What about these wheels, Steve?: Design is Catalunya. VW stamped, 7jx16 and numbers on back are: BTG VW15 - 3C0 601 025 A - AL SI 7Mg ws

·
Registered
751 Posts
What about these wheels, Steve?: Design is Catalunya. VW stamped, 7jx16 and numbers on back are: BTG VW15 - 3C0 601 025 A - AL SI 7Mg ws
Load rated to 650kgs.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts