VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've just found this forum as I'm looking to buy a 9 (8 passengers) seat VW Transporter Shuttle. I intended to use the van as a family car and to do occasional music heritage tours. I'd charge a fee for the tour which will be an element of driving to sites and walking. It will be done through a not-for-profit community interest company.

I can't work out from DVLA site whether this will be classed as minibus or not and whether I'd need a PVC licence. The DVLA states vehicles with 9 and over passenger seats would need a PVC. Also they talk of hire & reward but the fee isn't for the cost of the journey but for the actual tour i.e. people won't be going to and from a designated place.

Not sure if that makes sense but I want to be totally legit and this all seems a bit of grey area to me unless I'm completely overlooking the obvious!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jez

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Hi all

I've just found this forum as I'm looking to buy a 9 (8 passengers) seat VW Transporter Shuttle. I intended to use the van as a family car and to do occasional music heritage tours. I'd charge a fee for the tour which will be an element of driving to sites and walking. It will be done through a not-for-profit community interest company.

I can't work out from DVLA site whether this will be classed as minibus or not and whether I'd need a PVC licence. The DVLA states vehicles with 9 and over passenger seats would need a PVC. Also they talk of hire & reward but the fee isn't for the cost of the journey but for the actual tour i.e. people won't be going to and from a designated place.

Not sure if that makes sense but I want to be totally legit and this all seems a bit of grey area to me unless I'm completely overlooking the obvious!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jez
Hello Jez,

A 9 seat shuttle would count as a mini bus for insurance purposes and think they are on the log book as a mini bus.

We get a few quotes on them and most people mention it says mini bus on the V5 form.

Hope that helps.

Dan
A-Plan

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,172 Posts
Hello Jez,

A 9 seat shuttle would count as a mini bus for insurance purposes and think they are on the log book as a mini bus.

We get a few quotes on them and most people mention it says mini bus on the V5 form.

Hope that helps.

Dan
A-Plan
My Shuttle was registered as a 9 seater, is a "Diesel Car" with a body type of "MPV" which overall is a correct description I would say as a Minibus should have 9 or more passenger seats according to the DVLA and the Shuttle only has 8 of course.

"1. A minibus is a motor vehicle with between 9 and 16 passenger seats2. It is described as a category D1 vehicle by the Driving Vehicle Licencing Authority.

2 The driver’s seat does not count for these purposes."

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
My Shuttle was registered as a 9 seater, is a "Diesel Car" with a body type of "MPV" which overall is a correct description I would say as a Minibus should have 9 or more passenger seats according to the DVLA and the Shuttle only has 8 of course.

"1. A minibus is a motor vehicle with between 9 and 16 passenger seats2. It is described as a category D1 vehicle by the Driving Vehicle Licencing Authority.

2 The driver’s seat does not count for these purposes."
Most people say its a mini bus when calling for a quote.

Our system brings them up as estate car/ station wagon.

Due to the number of seats it would fit our mini bus scheme which is pretty good :)

Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both, it is slightly ambiguous. Dan, I'll be in touch when I get my van!T:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most people say its a mini bus when calling for a quote.

Our system brings them up as estate car/ station wagon.

Due to the number of seats it would fit our mini bus scheme which is pretty good :)

Dan
Dan, I am buying a vehicle which on the T5 shows as a nine seater but is now only a five seater. I will change this on the V5, how do I declare this for insurance?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts