VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right people, I am chomping at the bit to buy a T5 base vehicle with the aim of converting it into a camper but am slightly stuck at the first hurdle.

The question is......

Is a T28 a suitable base vehicle or will I need a T30?
Has anyone converted a T28 previously?
I understand the 2800kg/3000kg but how does this relate to the practicality and use of the T5 once converted?

Any help would be great T:

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
It depends what sort of conversion you're planning to do. The van weighs ~2000kg so you need to think about how much weight you plan to carry (including the passengers).

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
It obviously depends what your putting in the conversion but without a pop top you could be in the region of 2100kg and more like 2200kg with a pop top.
This would leave you with possibly 600 kg of payload, so 4 people and average gear would be OK, but a load of outdoor gear and roof racks etc could put you close or over the max load.
Personally, I dont usually have a problem with t28's, but 30's are best if you want to be sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i got a t28 m8 full conversion it drives the same as it did before the conversion.i think the conversion is a easy pay load for the t28 and sum.19 tdi 102 .T:

·
Registered
579 Posts
No expert but, I have looked in to this myself as i was worried about my own T28 purchase, so into the garage with the bathroom scales and i have come up with the following

Unladen weight (no fuel) with a 75kg driver for a base model T26/28/30 SWB is 1851kg (other VW info suggests its only 1797kg but i have errd on the side of caution)

Leaving you 749 kg of payload assuming you (the driver) weigh's 75kg

A full conversion with Reimo pop top, RIB 2 seat/bed and the std run of cupboards with fridge and table is approx 400kg (according to various convertor websites and a weigh bridge trip by Carl S on this forum)

Full tank of juice = 70kg

The wife and 2 kids = 150kg

Bag of clothes each = 100kg

Awning = 30kg

Water = 25kg

Gas bottle = 10kg

4 bikes on a tailgate rack = 60kg

Inflatable kayak = 15kg

Bedding = 10kg

4 camping chairs = 10kg

Leaving you 70kgs spare for bits and bobs

I think i will be ok with a T28, a 30 would have been better, but i think we will be under, i can always leave the wife behind and only half fill the tank if its close

Hope this helps

Phil

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, I plan on a full conversion so a Reimo roof, RIB bed and all the other gubbins. Mostly just me and the Mrs travelling but may occasionally be 4 of us.

With the info so far it seems a T28 should be ok. I think if I find a good spec T28 now at the right price I will be getting heavily involved but will still keep an eye out for a T30.

Any other info would be welcome. :ILU:

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm sure someone with better knowledge than me will know the definitive answer but isn't the only difference the rear springs?

·
Registered
518 Posts
My T28 conversion is just completed so I'm off to a weigh bridge next week with it loaded as for a trip will post the outcome good or bad,( I calculate an ullage of 83kg )

:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Davemac what have you had included in your conversion? The full monty? I look forward to the results. Do you have any pictures of your T28 beast?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mines a T28 and a full conversion with pop top and we load her up to the max when we go away never had any problems and she is also towing a beach buggy....T:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that has sold it for me, a T28 looks fine. Thanks for the pictures, you have a good set-up there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Dave really nice van there it's gorgeous! I'm looking at getting a T5 and now I'm convinced that the T28 will be enough for my conversion. Did you go to the weigh bridge Dave what was the outcome??

Michael

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
i weighed my t28 on a local scrapyards weighbridge and full camper with bed/cabinets/sink etc it went 2060kg with not much fuel and me weighing 89kg on steel wheels so loads of room for missus and food etc
j

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds great cant wait to get started! i didnt but the recent T5 i viewed. does anyone know the best plact to look to buy a transporter? im in Durham! Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
As a side, don't forget, worst case scenario, you can have a van reclassified (T26 -->T28 etc). I'm no expert to advise on this, but search the forum, there's loads written on the subject.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts