VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just had new tyres put in van. The front passenger tyre seems less inflated than the rest so I thought I had a slow puncture. Went to the garage for air expecting it to be about 10psi down but all pressures were spot on :confused: . Went to another & same result. Its definately more 'squashed' than the rest.
Is a T4 heavier on the front passenger than the front drivers side. I suppose when Im sat in it, it may be same on the drivers side?

Cheers,

Warren

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Soz for the bump but has anyone come across this before. Do I just inflate the fronts a bit more (currently on 42psi but tyres can take 50psi). Dont want the outside edges to wear due to it looking a bit flat.

Ta Much,
Warren

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a bad idea weazelpopper but ive only got about quarter of a tank in at the mo which I suppose you could argue is 20Kgs.

Cheers for that fella,

Warren

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
answer is get some air in the tyre

engine is transverse mounted gearbox is on passenger side
could be why that side is heavier

fuel tank as t4virgin states is even across van

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Are your tyres the same make? Could just be one has a weaker sidewall or a different tread pattern on the edge, some tyres look to have a squarer profile while others look more rounded.

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
How is a gearbox heavier than an engine??:confused:
didnt say a gearbox was heavier than an engine???????????

guy is wondering why one side appears heavier than the other

i dont know the reason why

or if there even is one.

this guy just need air in his tyres

i just brought an idea to the table

for a question that was asked

based on a thought

if an engine was mounted in the middle but one side had a gearbox on
that side would be heavier.

or am i wrong

either way answer still is

get some air in your tyres

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys,

Gearbox sounds like a good culprit.
All tyres are brand new, load rated to 96 & identical. I hear what you saying Clint. Stuck some more air in the two fronts & it looks better but still a bit more saggy than the drivers side. Dont fancy putting more psi into just one side tho.
Tomoz, I'll swap the front pass for the rear pass & if it ends up being the same, it has to be weight related I suppose.

Thanks for the input fellas,

Warren

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
didnt say a gearbox was heavier than an engine???????????

guy is wondering why one side appears heavier than the other

i dont know the reason why

or if there even is one.

this guy just need air in his tyres

i just brought an idea to the table

for a question that was asked

based on a thought

if an engine was mounted in the middle but one side had a gearbox on
that side would be heavier.

or am i wrong

either way answer still is

get some air in your tyres
There's no need to get stroppy mate! :cool:

Why even mention the gearbox if there is no insinuation that the passenger side is heavier than the drivers side being the gearbox is mounted on that side?

.......Mounted in the middle? what are you talking about?.....sorry do not follow your logic, the engine is not mounted in the middle

Getting to the thread point; if the tyre presseres are the same and correct both sides, but the Nearside looks low, then the only suggestion that was mentioned that I would agree with is that odd tyres are fitted or the tyre sidewall is deteriorated. I:

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
withoout adding fuel to this fire
the drivers side is ths heaver side

fuel tank as paul stated is spread across the van under the seats (just fills from the passenger side )

engine is heaver than gear box therefore making the drivers side slightly heaverer
as gear box is on the passenger side but wraps round the back of the engine
and the engine is in the drivers side and finishes in the middle of the van
also a 200 ish pound driver is also on the drivers side

but back to the question aint got a clueLOL:

change them around and put the osf and the nsf on the other way round ?T:

hope this helps

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
Ignoring the last postI:

if all tyres are inflated and it is still looking flat

any weight distribution of the van is probably irrelivent

another idea could be torsion bar not even

Quite common one this

Can check by getting van on a level surface and measure from top of rim to top of arch

if the van doesn't sit level
and only if.

You need the torsion bar adjusted

or a broken spring on the rear perhaps

This is just another idea from someone trying to HELP another forum member.
Critisicm is not needed thank you.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Odd one this, I have a 95 Caravelle and it's also lower on the passenger side. I just assumed the n/s tyre was low on air, I'll take a peek on my day off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Could be wheel camber. If it's positive (top of the wheel further out than the bottom) most of the wieght would be on the outside of the tyre, making it appear low on pressure.
Whatever it's likely always been like that. It's just now you have new tyres your looking at them more and maybe noticing things you hadn't before. If you're anything like me anway.

Fuel tank: On mine it,s spread across the width of the van under the front seats, but the passenger side does appear to sit lower than the drivers end, which would with lower fuel levels be the side holding the majority of wieght. But imho I doubt it would be enough of a difference to make a tyre appear flatter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
had a similar thing on an old car with very low profile tyres turned out it had been curbed and the tyre wall had given out and just wasnt holding up.... I would get tyres checked could be that maybe you have a duff one where the reinforcmant isnt right.... better than getting a blow out whilst driving.

·
Registered
342 Posts
On the gearbox engine weight train of thought, aren't we all forgetting that the battery is on the gearbox side?

Could the tyre just appear 'flatter' due to the way the van was manouvered prior to parking?
Does it look the same everywhere you park it?

Torsion bars?

Double passenger v single drivers seat.

Sliding door v ordinary panel.

All just thoughts.

Maybe the passenger side is heavier?

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
I'd go with the battery - some vans have two batteries in there...

But then broken rear springs are not uncommon and can upset the corner weights...

But then vehicles "settle in" over time, what was it's past life?; who sat in the (double?) front passenger seat?

Does the van drive "straight" - no pulling to left or right?; is there a knock when you drive over bumps?

Just to be on the safe side, get the vehicle in the air to check those springs (and the length of the torsion bar threads - both should be roughly equal - and get the ball joints checked for lift as well) and then get a 4 wheel alignment...

As the tyres are new they won't have become "camber sensitive" as they wear to the road conditions in your area...

Also what pressures are you running? Watch those tyres for uneven wear and tweak the pressure 10% either way...

+ 10%, if they are wearing on the edges (watch the inner or outer at the front, as a regular tight turn can effect tyre wear and the outside edge on the nearside rear tyre).

- 10%, if they are wearing on the centre of the tread...

It could, of course, be an optical illusion...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts