VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got loads of other projets on the go at the moment, including 2 Ducati's and 2 Corrado's and a house that's desperately in need of some DIY SOS. But I'm finding the van is just eating all of my time and money at the moment!

Spent all weekend on it fixing the belt tensioner, rewiring the split charge system, fitting a 150a alternator and new crank pulley. A good £100 in parts there.

Just spent another £60 on eberspacher bits and another day boxing out the rear wheel arches and relocating the night heater into there.

Now I've just bought an alarm, which I'm going to install myself. Another £100, plus the central locking that'll have to go in at the same time, and leccy windows that have been sat on my shelf for 3 years.

Then I need to carpet the new wood work, fit my new amp and sub box, line the flooring, redo the roof lining where it's started sagging.

Still needs new rear outer CV's, MOT is due this month so that'll be another £50, even if it passes!

Then there's the small matter of rust attacking the arches, needs a bottom half respray ideally. Bull bar needs blasting and re-coating, extra foglights to fit to that. Air horns to fix/relocate.

AARRRRRGGH! the jobs list is never ending! And to make matters worse, I've got another T4 sat there with a blown head gasket too!! I finally had a day off yesterday, but only because my back was ruined from the week of non stop van graft.

3.5 years into ownerships and the jobs just keep coming thick and fast. Anyone else finding it all to be a bit much?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
yep phatty,im feelin your pain!
love my van.........but also hate the thing when it constantly kicks me in the financial kahunas with a never ending list of faults!
vw reliability?
MY AR5E!:eek:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't call it unreliable, not by a long shot, it's probably the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I tend to do more preventative maintenance rather that just chasing jobs.

I'm more on about the conversion side of things and trying to make it feel less van like. Just seems to be a never ending list of things you can do and improve upon.

Just cannot be bothered today, having another day off resting my poor back.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
What's life ? Is it those boring, pointless bits inbetween the trips away in the van and the furkling with the van ?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And to think I was considering converting this lwb hi top to a camper...sod that!

·
Registered
356 Posts
ye me to ,what i hate most is its 6 months since re spray and allready marked down side door which some di-- end made a mess of ,my wife told me to get use to it ,but that anger never goes away ,the van is used 6 days a week as a joiners van and never let me down

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yup, bought a T4 last summer, did a few weekends away in it, and discovered a million faults. It's now 100% mechanically, and all of the electrics work properly, including the split charger and interior led lighting system. Just spent the break stripping out the rear as the rear mounted home made kitchen unit looked flashy but was badly designed, so will put a new floor in, and then put a side mounted one in (professionally made this time) along with a rock and roll bed. Hopefully when its all done it will look way better and be easier to use it all.

Anyone else notice how much better their van runs when all of the is stripped out? lol

Rob

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
If you've only just realised what your doing your already well on your way to the crazy obsession that is the T4. You'll never be truly finished on it as once you've done one job you magically find another "little" job you want to do or change. I bought my van 18 months ago to cart the bikes around to save trashing the new type Rgt civic that was on the drive. That's now gone and the van has sucked up a total of £10k on my great ideas, that "needed" doing. I accepted my curse of obsession when I dropped the van off with J to project the airlift system that's being developed. I don't need it but I do WANT it. So it's now just the obsession. Once that's done I'll be making a T4 trailer to go with it. Again not essential but..............
Welcome to the life where you spend money on something that you never actually get to sleep with. It'll give you a good ride from time to time but it'll always bite you in the Rear end and ask for more money. Come to think about it, my van is much like my ex wife......... Go figure

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Got loads of other projets on the go at the moment, including 2 Ducati's and 2 Corrado's and a house that's desperately in need of some DIY SOS. But I'm finding the van is just eating all of my time and money at the moment!
Well im more than happy to take one of the Ducati's off your hands!! :D

I know what you mean though, Ive spent far too much money on mine, but im enjoying the (slow) process and watching the van that I have pictured in my mind take shape in front of me. I also find it relaxing to think that with a bit of luck it will be ready to camp in by the begining of summer... at the moment im not a fan of my job, I dont like the area in which I live... so using the van to escape it all for weekends will ultimately be worth it...

·
Registered
248 Posts
ive got van obsession had 7 t4s and 1 t5 in 18 months as soon as i finish doing them up get bored and have to sell and start another project just bought a swb high top with nothing inside it so here goes againT:

·
previously known as passattdi
1,173 Posts
To the point where I'm actually tidying up and de-cluttering my entire garage so that I can start work on modifying the interior of my van. It includes shelving on both walls and mounting bikes, ladders and cycle racks on the wall.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts