VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst browsing insurance comparison sites just before my purchase of the Autosleeper Trident 2.5Tdi last week, after typing in the reg number, one of them gave me the option and question as to which one it was. A 88bhp, or 102 bhp, indicating to me, that at sometime in the past, it had either been re-mapped or had a tuning box fitted, and declared.
Now I cannot see a tuning box, so presumably if there was one, it was removed by the previous owner, but I also believe from my dealings with Revo on my Fabia vRS a few years ago, that plugging in to the diagnostics port VAGCOM will NOT show if it has been re-mapped either.
I can't say by driving it if it has or not, as I haven't driven a mapped version to compare to a standard 88bhp.

Don't particularly want to go to the expense of having a map installed if it's already done, so what's the answer anyone?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the insurance off 'Justkampers' in the end for a quite measly £200.49p with a 5000 mile restriction btw.o_O

·
Registered
363 Posts
The 2.5 TDI T4 came in either 88,102 or 150bhp from the factory. The 102 will have an intercooler mounted on top of the engine. The 150bhp was only sold in mainland europe I believe so will be rare in the UK. The 88 doesn't have an intercooler, the 150 has a front mounted one, in front of the radiator. Hopefully someone else will confirm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhh. Didn't know that, sorry. Got an inttercooler ,yes, so must be the 102. Not very lively, so may go for a Revo then. thanks for probably solving the mystery for me. Im probably being a bit harsh on it tbh, probably spoilt having been using a Focus ST and Fabia vRS.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,544 Posts
Do NOT use any sort of "plug-in-box"....
All they do is con the ECU into thinking there is more air going into the engine than really is, and so increases the fuel.
If you want more power, get a proper rolling road remap done.
That will increase the turbo boost to a level to match the air coming in.
Will also do "little tweaks", such as changing the timing and fuel injection levels at certain points.

IF you want to try one of the "boxes", I can give you a circuit diagram that will cost less than a couple of quid to build!!!! (but don't blame me when the engine goes BANG or it fails the MOT! )

As you say, VCDS (ancient name VAGCOM) will not show it, unless you know where to look.

·
Registered
84 Posts
TDI stands for turbo diesel intercooler I believe and that is on a badge on the front of our 88hp AJT .I remember ,when first got it, looking for a non existent intercooler !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts