VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been told its common on t4's for the power steering pump to break down inside and release small metal filings into the steering rack thus ruining the rack over time and making the seals leak ??
if not the pump then maby the steering lines where they are steel ?

·
Registered
573 Posts
One winter my PS system sprang a leak, it was cold and snowy out so I drove Armstrong steering all winter before fixing it. Fixed the leak in the spring and after running dry fro 4-5/months the pump would not work when refilled. The fluid also instantly turned silver flake grey.
Pulled the pump, did my best to get the bad fluid out of the rack, still has silver (aluminum) powder in it. I just use cheap American PS fluid now as I have not faith the rack won't spring a leak and p....all that expensive synth PS fluid out. That was a couple of years ago, PS is fine,system does not leak. It is hard to flush the rack with polluted fluid. If my pump started going ( ie starting to grey the fluid) III would just keep going until when and if therack went as well, then change everything at once. But over there if the PS pump is inexpensive it would probably be good economy to change as a maintenance item. Just let to you know the system seems quite robust.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for reply the reason im asking is i have been sold a piece of crud rack from a supposedly reputable uk company it is a recon unit but it was leaking as soon as it was fitted even from the union's that they tighten at the factory, now i have got my engine out i have got the rack out and sent it back to them, fluid was pouring out of the boots and other seals !!
now they are telling me that it is my steering pump that has released metal into the rack and made it leak so if they test it and find bits they will not pay out on the warranty !! they say it is a very common problem with t4's but i have never heard of it ? my original rack was weeping out the ends after 140,000 miles so i assumed wear and tear on seals after old age??

any tips for flushing the system out ?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Was your fluid grey. Sounds like bs....like I said, I destroyed mine and it only released fine grey powder into the rack. Pressure them upstairs, and let forum members know who they are.
Everything is possible but it is highly unlikely that a functioning PS pump could release enough metal to quickly destroy a seal and still function itself. To wit, if it was that broke the shards of metal would never make it to the rack ad there would be no pressure to move them there.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the whole things a joke
they just want to be able to say that if they find a spec of anything that should not be there under their microscope they can blame you and the pump and get out of the warranty :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for reply the reason im asking is i have been sold a piece of crud rack from a supposedly reputable uk company it is a recon unit but it was leaking as soon as it was fitted even from the union's that they tighten at the factory, now i have got my engine out i have got the rack out and sent it back to them, fluid was pouring out of the boots and other seals !!
now they are telling me that it is my steering pump that has released metal into the rack and made it leak so if they test it and find bits they will not pay out on the warranty !! they say it is a very common problem with t4's but i have never heard of it ? my original rack was weeping out the ends after 140,000 miles so i assumed wear and tear on seals after old age??

any tips for flushing the system out ?
HI my powersteering pressure release valve seems to not be working those blowing the seals out. Had the rack re conditioned put it in and it blew seals guys say its the pump release valve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts