VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im after a bed that can slide up & down the van so im thinking of buying genuine vw seats, how easy is it to fit the rails?

·
previously known as: baggit
812 Posts
not that easy as i understand it mate, have very little tolerance, youre much better off going to someone like colin at oxford T5 and getting him to do it, peace of mind then too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had mine done by Colin and it took 2 of them a long day and they are used to doing it, fit and finish is perfect, here's a pic, the rest of the conversion including the removable pod was done by AJC, Colin also fitted the swivel seats in the front and those from the caravelle in the rear

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have just done this on my swb .Fitted double rail system ,its basic tools really just a long weekend on your back .The cost of the double rails with trims 2nd hand was £700 the triple seat was £950 and the multiflex board was £500 the last 2 both from Poland cannot fault the quality or service:):)
So it is a diy option just set aside time .The position once underneath of the bolt holes is obvious so you cannot really go wrong .The worst bit is dropping the fuel tank ,exhaust and all the shields underneath .If you search there are a few write ups .

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
If you are just fitting the rails and an old caravelle floor, it isnt that bad. As already said its a days work to fit it and most of the underside of the van has to come off. Where it get a little tricky is fitting a custom made floor and spacing it and cutting it so that the floor finish is at the correct level to allow the rail covers to clip in. We have just done a couple. Its a lot easier with carpet than vinyl.I:.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
My first one wasn't easy! Depends on your mechanical ability and accuracy with a tape measure.

Surprisingly long winded and a lot to do. When you stand back and see 4 rails looking back at you you'll wonder why it's taken you all day! But there is a lot to do underneath, fuel tank has to drop, all under trays have to come off which cover the whole bloody van and more

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you are handy with the spanners it is not hard.....best described as awkward.
As mentioned handy with 2 of you and up in the air on a ramp. Can be done by one...but it will be a long day.
I used Colin at Oxford T5.......and would recommend him and his helper. Colin can source rails, covers, floor and seats

1 - 8 of 8 Posts