VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have brought a pre-part converted T5 and suspect (i'm pretty sure!) that there is no insulation ehind the panels - they and the metal work have been carpeted (gue3ssing spray glue) in one. I'm wondering how much hassel/mess it would make to remove the carpet and start again (I also want to run some wires and add a few bits and pieces.)

I'm also wondering if anyone has any suggestions for "wipe clean" (for mountain bike mud - nothing else honest!!!) alternatives to carpet for the "boot" section I have built (I did a 2 day rush job before a long trip around france/spain this summer) / will re build once I have sorted insulation/ electrics............ This is currently partly carpet lined (as the whole van was before I built it and I would like to remove the carpet and replace....)

Thanks

Kev

·
Registered
165 Posts
HI,

If you are not sure what is behind them i would just pull it all off and start again. It should not be too bad to get off to be honest- It does depend on how well / How much glue the last person used!

I would go with Altro floor if you want wipe clean, we use lots in our conversions and its great- not the cheapest but you get what you pay for T:

Jon

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any suggestions on how to remove the carpet, is there a chemical to remove the carpet(spray glue- lots of it at a guess!)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It'll generally come off with a good tug. Depending on what carpet it is it will probably pull out of shape but if your not re-using it, it won't matter T:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
my vans previous owner fitted carpet all over the metalwork with shat is suspect was no more nails (or similar) :*

took me about 2 months of fettling (xmas to february) to remove it all from the paintwork; most useful tool was my trusty swiss army knfe . . . . . . .
cleaned down with thinners afterwards then used MVM's fines spray. No matter what is is on there with - brute force will have it off; then the removal of the adhesive will be hte tricky part.
I found that thinners worked really well for removing whatever spray had been used (all over the van :*) for keeping the insulation in place - many happy hours in the back of the van with a gallon of thinners :D:D
It all came off eventually . . . .
For a cheap boot liner - try linoT:

rob

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Try to get hold of a few litres of 'glue and tar remover', from perhaps a motor factors, or more likely a valeter or sign maker. Its less harmful to the paintwork than thinners if you need to apply a lot (and I suspect you willI:).
De glueing a van is a good days work, and some decent rubber gloves are worth buying - ie marigolds, not disposable latex ones.
Once the carpet is pulled off, apply plenty of glue and tar remover then wipe as much off as you can. Plenty of clean rags or you just end up pushing the glue around.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks for all the replies - need to find a few weeks by the sounds of it then will spend some time with solvents in the back of the van! Just wanted to check before I started just pulling carpet off the walls!

I'm sure there will be many more posts to follow so thanks for the advice in advance! - I will make sure I document the build in full when I eventually get there!

Kev

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi I know this thread is a few weeks old but thought it would still be worth posting a reply. good old fashioned WD40 eats carpet spray adhesive allowing for the residue to be simply wiped away.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Surley if your going to re-carpet after you'v put in wires and insulation, then you dont need to remove all the old spray glue. Your new carpet will cover it all. A:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts