·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Yep simple as.....

I've got a similar one mounted in my van.... As long as it has a breaker your good to go!

T:

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
You should really have an earth bonding to van body. This is why a fitted RCD is better.

·
Registered
270 Posts
easy option is rcd twin socket and spur for lights . still protected and easy as . run this to 16 amp blue skt to fog or under van , then ready for campsite hook up . happy days

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Better than nothing but not ideal. There is nothing to protect the circuit feeding that socket and if a fault developed you could end up with the body of the van being live. I know camp sites have RCDs on the hook-ups but can you rely on them? I wouldn't, having seen some of the installations.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Better than nothing but not ideal. There is nothing to protect the circuit feeding that socket and if a fault developed you could end up with the body of the van being live. I know camp sites have RCDs on the hook-ups but can you rely on them? I wouldn't, having seen some of the installations.
so how does the body become live? surely the cable in the van would have to have a break in it and be touching the body of the van?
or am i completely missing something?:ILU:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
easy option is rcd twin socket and spur for lights . still protected and easy as . run this to 16 amp blue skt to fog or under van , then ready for campsite hook up . happy days
Maybe an easy option, but unsafe - the spur would not be protected none of the internal wiring would be protected.:*

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
so how does the body become live? surely the cable in the van would have to have a break in it and be touching the body of the van?
The body of the van would not become live if it is bonded under fault conditions, but if not bonded the whole van body could be be at 230v, remember the van is isolated from the "earth outside" by four great big isolators called tyres.T:

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Trailing cables have a habit of getting damaged and this when there is a chance of a live conductor coming into contact with body of the vehicle.
With a fixed installation this is a lot less likely to happen and you will be protected by the earth bonding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts