VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So owned my T5 06 for four years now. Replaced injectors, clutch and fly wheel, suspension, radiator after a stone damaged it, new water pump and head gasket skimmed, wiring looms after they corroded and the usual consumables of brakes and tyres etc. The van has 150,000 on it. I love the van but is it normal to have done so much work to it? Next service will most likely need a new drop link, wheel bearing in one wheel and blower fan replaced. Does all these vans take so much work? I just want to know if it’s normal to have faced these issues. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So owned my T5 06 for four years now. Replaced injectors, clutch and fly wheel, suspension, radiator after a stone damaged it, new water pump and head gasket skimmed, wiring looms after they corroded and the usual consumables of brakes and tyres etc. The van has 150,000 on it. I love the van but is it normal to have done so much work to it? Next service will most likely need a new drop link, wheel bearing in one wheel and blower fan replaced. Does all these vans take so much work? I just want to know if it’s normal to have faced these issues. Thanks for the help.
Should also say. The full engine was out, totally cleaned and rebuilt. Only major work left I feel would be a turbo and gear box which currently seem grand.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I'd say keep it - better the devil you know n all that... I'd say it's a bit unusual to have all of those things done but a lot will depend on it's former life before you came into ownership. Some of these vans live a hard life being commercial vehicles and don't always get treated to the same kind of maintenance and care that a car perhaps would. There are a couple of known 'weak' areas on these - the fact you've had the clutch and flywheel replaced and injectors to me would be cause alone to keep it. They're big ticket items so you may as well take advantage of the cost and get the use out of them!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd say keep it - better the devil you know n all that... I'd say it's a bit unusual to have all of those things done but a lot will depend on it's former life before you came into ownership. Some of these vans live a hard life being commercial vehicles and don't always get treated to the same kind of maintenance and care that a car perhaps would. There are a couple of known 'weak' areas on these - the fact you've had the clutch and flywheel replaced and injectors to me would be cause alone to keep it. They're big ticket items so you may as well take advantage of the cost and get the use out of them!
I agree keep it. Who knows what you'll buy into next if getting 2nd hand. I've done a fair bit of work similar to you also.

Also did alot of it on my first van then wish I hadn't sold it.

Only vehicle I've had to of so I must like them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
better the devil you know - always.

All vehicles need a fairly extensive refresh of all the rubber, suspension, friction bits around 100-150k. It's unavoidable.

But compare the above work you've done on the T5 to a transit custom blowing it's engine within 3 years, and it's not so bad.!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts