VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post but been using the forum for advice for a while...Ive used various forums over the year but this one really seems to be the best. The level of detail and the quality of response is second to none...

Anyway on to my issue....

I have a 2001 t4 2.5 tdi 102 and the breaks are driving me crazy.

Im just back from france after covering 2000 miles and the brakes have been binding intermittently. The only cure seemed to be to remove the vacum hose from the servo and it cleared the problem but driving french roads with no servo was a nightmare!

Im now home and trying to get to the bottom of the problem. Before I set off i replaced the front brake hoses and checked all calipers (front and rear) were working as they should...no problem there....I cleaned the slides and the carriers, checked the pistons where free and copper slipped everything. The discs and pads are all in good condition and the hand brake cable isnt sticking on....

Ive now jacked up each corner with wheels on and spun the wheels with the engine running and the servo disconnected..all seems to be ok

When I reattach the vacum pipe and press the brakes a couple of time the wheels wont spin....release the vacum hose and they spin freely...

There is plenty of vacum at the hose and its all in good condition....

It seems to me that something is going wrong inside the servo

Has anyone come across this problem before? I would really value a second opinion...

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
188 Posts
not had the same sort of problem, but my servo was leaking air and it was recommended to replace the servo...it was worth it in the long run..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Iwould be certain your servo is the problem. Very easy to check. Park on a slight slope and pump the brakes until she is binding. Then leave off the hand brake . If she doesn't roll you know the brakes are sticking. Now with your hand pull the brake pedal back towards you and il bet she will start rolling. Seen this problem 4 or 5 times on the t4. People don't seem to believe that the servo will fail but a tiny pin hole in the diaphragm will do this. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ill give that a try and post the results....Im kinda getting use to drive without a servo...drove the works T5 the other day and almost put myself through the windscreen on first press of the brakes:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Totally at my wits end! Now changed the servo and master cylinder as well as stripping, greasing and rebuilding the calipers, new flexi on the front and a full brake fluid change. Still all the brakes are binding! Anyone got any advice/info that might help? Thought because all four corners that are binding, it has to be somthing common to all four calipers, eg servo, master cylinde any other thoughts?

Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check the push rod from the servo to the brake pedal not sure on the T4 but i know some manufacturers have a short adjustable rod on the end of the push rod or check for any spacers missing.

If all else fails brute force is not the answer--But sure makes you feel good.T:T:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sounds daft but you're not over filling the brake fluid are you? i.e. not over the circle on the side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts