VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85ah leisure fitted under my drivers seat wired through a just kampers split charge kit, I've also added a JK £30 zig display meter, when charging the needle is half way in the green section, turn of the engine and the needle drops to the start of the green but during the day the needle drops throgh the yellow and is almost at the red,

Is the leisure not holding it's charge?

I have my amp, stereo, couple of DVD screens and 2 led strips wired into it but none of these are on during the day?

I got the leisure from alpha batteries Manchester way of eBay as it's one that fits under the t4 drivers seat

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Give the leisure battery a good charge with a normal battery charger, then remove the fuses for everything you have running off of it, if it still loses voltage then your battery is probably dud.
If its ok, and holds charge, then it's a case of putting the fuses back in 1 at a time until you find whats draining it.
Leisure batteries ideally need periodic charging with a good charger every now and again to keep it in optimum condition.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Give the leisure battery a good charge with a normal battery charger, then remove the fuses for everything you have running off of it, if it still loses voltage then your battery is probably dud.
If its ok, and holds charge, then it's a case of putting the fuses back in 1 at a time until you find whats draining it.
Leisure batteries ideally need periodic charging with a good charger every now and again to keep it in optimum condition.
Thank you mate, I'll charge it over the weekend then check, is it now I regret wiring the stereo a d amp to it LOL:

·
Registered
108 Posts
when did you get your battery? when i got mine from a local caravan park , they stated do not leave in the vehicle in very cold weather over time as it will bugger the battery

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
had it since about june/july last year and hes been in all the time, as I said most ancililaries are wired to it

will try charging it then test each item wired to it

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Ideally batterys should be charged now and again especially if being left for a while or over winter. And never fully discharge them as it shortens the battery life.
Only the deep cycle batterys can be fully discharged without much harm.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to charge it over the weekend but its wired up and constantly charged of the alternator everyday

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like something may be draining it when off!
Have you tried disconnecting it to see if it discharges when NOT connected a bad battery will discharge when NOT connected but if it stays at the green then perhaps is has a draw from something

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeez leisure batteries take some charging :eek: had mine on from 1 today, turned the charger of at 7 and only hlaf down on the charger display

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What amperage is the charger your using, if its low like 3.5 amps then it will prob take a day or two to fully charge.
not to sure tbh, I know it will charge a normal battery quicker than this leisure tho' :*

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I no may be funny but is the earth connected ok as I had same problem and it was that , just a thought for ya

1 - 13 of 13 Posts