VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not mechanical in anyway so rely on help from others. I am unsure whether my reconditioned turbo is working. Sometimes it feels like it has a bit more power but as soon as it hits the smallest gradient it loses power. When a friend[who is more mechanically minded than me] looked underneath the bonnet, he noticed that when the engined was revved up the actuator arm[i think thats what it is called] appeared not to move. Is this normal for T4's? My friend says usually the arm on turbos visibly move when accelerator is applied.
Can anyone help please?
T:

·
Registered
767 Posts
take the C clip off the top of the bar mate and free the arm up abit ( give it a little wiggle ,lol ), they can stick from time to time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After much thought and trying different things my mate has taken the exhaust off and says the cat looks blocked up and thinks that could be causing the problem. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that replacing the pipe with a de-cat pipe will work.T:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi - Just rig up a temporary pressure gauge to see what the turbo air outlet pressure is when the van is actually driving. There's a small pipe fitting on the turbo outlet just for that job. A few feet of plastic pipe will let you tape a pressure gauge to the bonnet so that you can see it when you're driving. The pressure will be zero at tickover and rise to around 9psi as the revs increase with the engine under load. The max pressure is controlled by the turbo wastegate (the lever / actuator mech on top of the turbo). You'll only see this lever moving with the engine under load. If you're getting a pressure reading then your turbo is fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts