VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to posting here but have stalked and read stacks of posts over the last couple of months.

I have found a lovely T5 1.9tdi which is at the right price and has all the conversions I want and has the potential for the mods to make her truly mine.

The problem is its only 84 BHP. The question I have is, is this enough? I want to have the pendle upgrade so will be able to increase the BHP but have been told by a friend that it will still struggle to pull away and really struggle on hills, and that i should try and get a 2.5 model.

Now the van has full conversion and I have a wife and two kids, with bikes and gear etc.. so fully loaded will be pretty heavy. I don't want to scream it down the motoways of the uk and Europe but i can understand the frustration if every time i travel up a hill i'm watching the speedo slide from 50, 40, 30 .... till i reach the top.

Even with the pendle remap is the 1.9tdi 84 just not man enough? I only have a couple of hours to get back to the seller so any quick responses will be greatly appreciated.

Yes or no answers would be the best.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
84bhp fully loaded will leave you wanting more. A remap should sort that out but the better engine is the 2.0ltr which can comfortably give you 170bhp for not much ££££

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CupraR1

I think I knew it wasn't enough but was praying the remap would be the magical fix.

I guess the search continues.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got a full camper conversion 2008 1.9 re mapped by Pendle and it's fine.. cruises at 80mph fully loaded and doesn't slow down on hills..? Just depends on how fast you really want to go!

·
Special Rapporteur
9,770 Posts
I don't personally think the power output is so much of an issue - I drove a fully converted high-top Tr4ns1t with 83BHP for around 10 years and it was no disaster zone - and remapped to maybe 120BHP I would guess it would be fine, and economy will always beat a 2.5.

However, a T26 with full conversion, 2 +2 onboard plus bikes etc is likely to be very close to its weight limit on the back axle... If you have lots to carry a T28 is really the minimum load capacity you should be looking at.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Mine is 102bhp and that felt more than enough power until I put 20" alloys on, setting off it feels well underpowered but it will coast along nicely on the motorways. I will go down the remap route before I tackle the pyrenees etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Traffic,

Never even considered your axel point.

STUNNED,
I don't want to go fast 70-80 is more than enough for me, I just don't want to feel like i'm going backwards when going up hills - i drove a very old VW bus years ago to Wales and it was just hideous when we got into the hilly areas. I dont mind feeling like i cant excellerate up the hills but id like to feel like I can maintain speed up them.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Hi,
I purchased a 1.9 84bhp 4 years ago. I did drive it for about a month before the Pendle remap was done (139bhp) and It was pretty dire and that was before the conversion.
I have never had issues with a fully laden conversion going up hill following the remap. Torque is pretty good although its never going to beat a 2.5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All very interesting points some say its fine some say probably not.

Thanks for all your comment. It at least gives me some perspective.

jaj750 its good to know you have the same van and have no issues after the remap AND you live in the North of wales, plenty of hills.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Own a 2008 T5 84BHp for 2 1/2 years.

Converted from panel van to 6 seat kombi(vw seats) and insulated extra battery etc etc. Remapped 3 months after purchase 84 to 148bhp/320nm torque.

We tow a 1400kg caravan uphill no worries.

Just returned from Portugal(without caravan) 4 up with 4 bikes roof box, and the kitchen sink no worries.

,,,so far T:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyones help,

The general census seams to be with the remap it will be fine. (Not too many pies and we should be fine)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Own a 2008 T5 84BHp for 2 1/2 years.

Converted from panel van to 6 seat kombi(vw seats) and insulated extra battery etc etc. Remapped 3 months after purchase 84 to 148bhp/320nm torque.

We tow a 1400kg caravan uphill no worries.

Just returned from Portugal(without caravan) 4 up with 4 bikes roof box, and the kitchen sink no worries.

,,,so far T:
Did you drive through France or tackle the hills near Santander? Doing that run myself in a month, hoping my fully loaded 1.9 tdi 103 bhp manages the hills ok. Driving around empty and half full around the hills here no problems at all so far.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mazzamark

Crossed from Portsmouth to Bilboa sorry can't comment on Santander, had to drop to 4th near a town called Bejar very long climbs
there and back..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mazzamark

Crossed from Portsmouth to Bilboa sorry can't comment on Santander, had to drop to 4th near a town called Bejar very long climbs
there and back..
Yes those are the hills. Planning a remap as soon as I get to the UK, I'll post how she manages.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts