VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the vwt4forum slowly being over taken by T5 members ?

I frequently us the 'New Posts' link at the top of the page to catch up on my reading. And in the last few weeks I've noticed that 7 in every 10 posts, is T5 related. Is that because the T5 is more problematic than the T4, or is it because more T4 members are moving up to the T5 ?

Before I get a barrage of abuse, I'm not having a pop at the T5 'brigade', after all, it's the next best thing to a T4 :D

So moderators ...... is it possible to get some stats ?

How many members own T4's ?

How many members own T5's ?

And of course there are some of you that own both :)

Could be interesting if nothing else.

TURK

·
Registered
286 Posts
totally agree
i thought that just the last couple of weeks
think its because there having more problems and price range is lowering
i think we are due to be moving into the the classic rage

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
think its because there having more problems and price range is lowering
i think we are due to be moving into the the classic rage
Yup, recon so ..... T5 prices on the drop, and T4 prices on the rise ? :*

I can't wait for 'Classic' status :D Not that mine is any way near standard as a real classic should be.
But I do like my mod cons :D

Recently found another piece of paper under my windscreen wiper the other day, asking me if I wanted to sell, with a contact number on it !

Not on your nelly !!! :D

TURK

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
yes, had noticed similar re posts
t4's seem to be increasingly regarded as a more modern sought after version of the T2

"i think we are due to be moving into the the classic rage" - usual banter/aggro wth T5 owners, or did you mean raNge? :*

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
As more T5's come on to the market this (dark) side is bound to grow.... stands to reason really
More & more fleet operators have seen the sence in using VW's as apposed to other cheaper brands so the market will only get more flooded with these in years to come............ so T4 boys.......... brace yourself for the onslaught...!!!! I:

Had my T5 for 4 years now & it is deffinately a keeper... not buying another, going to keep it untill itself is a classic (sometime yet) T:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Boys, I agree with the "lots of T5 posts" but the T5s are more affordable now and cos they are still being made there are bound to be more of them about.
Dare I say there a little bit common!

And sit back and wait for the onslaught!:D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
And if you cant afford a t5 then the new transit or hyundi iload looks similar Rasp: LOL:

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
not getting as much banter on here as i thought............. but it is posted in the T4 section, am i the only T5 man that reads the T4 threads.... maybe move to a general section......

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I've been on here a couple of years now. Started with a T4.......now upgraded to a T5 I: I found there were very few T5 posts when I joined up but now there seems more T5 posts. Not sure it's because there are more problems with T5's, more that more and more people are wanting comfort, and T5's are more comfortable. T: I sold my T4 and most people said I'd regret it, and to a certain extent, I do. T4's are better looking, have more kudos, get more waves and are just 'better' in my opinion. Where the T5 comes into it's own is the ride quality, better cab area etc. Hand on heart, I'd have my T4 back tomorrow. :blg

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Good post this, for what it's worth I love the T4,s and always thought I'd have one, but couldn't find one with low enough miles and the spec I wanted, so I went for a T5 simply because there was more choice, and after the PENDLE Treatment, the performance and Comfort for Family holidays is Fantastic...........still might do a swop though if the right T4 came along!!!:D

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys,

A couple of interesting things there guys ......

Let me comment on this one first, as it got me head scratching :confused:

not getting as much banter on here as i thought............. but it is posted in the T4 section

As far as I'm concerned I posted in the 'General Van Chat' section, as with any post you aim to get the maximum exposure, so to me this is the correct place to ask the question as it's not T4 specific ..... is it not :*

I read this time and time again ..... people upgrading or simply buying a T5 because they like more comfort. What confuses me about that statement, is the fact that you may of spent a considerable amount of money over a period of years modifying and converting your T4, only to decide you'd like a T5 because it's more 'comfortable' !

If that's the case ........ you did your conversion wrong I:

I'm 3 years into my conversion, the front of my van is just like any car you would by on the garage forecourt. Less the unnecessary gadgets that is. It's lowered, it's got uprated springs and shocks which makes it drive just like a car. There's no sign of over steer or roll that you get with any van. In a nutshell ..... it's comfortable, very comfortable, and more importantly, the gear shift is where it should be ....... on the floor ! :D

So, trading up for 'comfort' ? .... hand on your heart, I don't think thats the real reason.

I think the real reason is because we're all so afraid of high mileage vehicles :) it gets anyway near 200,000 miles and it's a major panic to get shot of it ! Truth be told, a well maintained vehicle regardless of what it is, will just keep on going.
Go to any show, and you'll see the main focus is alway on the early buses, split screens and so forth, built in the 60's still going strong.

Or is it just a case of 'keeping up with the Jones' ....... mines better than yours syndrome !?

Anyway, that's my view I:

TURK

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I've got to disagree with the comment about high mileage. The T4 had under 100k when I sold it! The T5 is far more comfortable than ANY T4 I've been in. And the gear stick position????????????? Why does most people buy extenders? Cos it's in the wrong place? :*

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And the gear stick position????????????? Why does most people buy extenders? Cos it's in the wrong place? :*
Nope ! ........ it's because they're sitting too high LOL:

The gear shift extender is a bad idea anyway, as you're over extending your reach and hitting the dash when changing into higher gears. I did totally the opposite in fact, with the 'short shift' mod I put a DTM style gear knob on. But then I'm sitting lower down as I have bucket seats. Seats that I actually sit 'in' as opposed to sit 'on' if you catch my drift.

99% of car manufacturers put the gear shift in the middle on the floor of the vehicle, they have done it that way for decades. Shifters on the dash are becoming more popular these days for the simple reason, that's it's easier and cheaper to manufacture vehicles that way. I remember many years ago my grandad had a 2CV with the shifter on that dash, so it's not a new thing, just very rare. I suppose you get used to it :*

Virtually every buying thread on here boils down to mileage, chances are that most of the mechanics on a 15 year old van would of been changed throughout it's life, it's quiet easy to detect what has been changes under the bonnet or under the van, as the parts look newer. Hence the reason for the service history. I've known some people to turn their noses up at vehicles that had 120,000 miles on the clock, purely by looking at the odometer reading. Chances are that vehicle could do another 120,000 miles.

So the obvious solution to some, is to buy an early T5 in the same price bracket, only to discover they're a money pit. They're notorious for breaking down.

How do I know all this ! ? ........ well believe it not I looked at buying a T5 myself I:
Because of technology moving forward, engines becoming more efficient and lets not forget the safety aspect, I thought I might have to buy one when I move to France as I would have to sell my beloved RHD T4 to get a left hand drive vehicle. ..... safety first basically.

The reports I read on the early T5's were not good. The only T5 I would consider buying would have to be the 4Motion but I draw the line at spending 40,000 Euro's plus :eek: You can buy a 3 bedroom house in France for that !

So it looks like I'll be buying another T4 ...... left hand drive of course, but preferably a Syncro :D

Many thanks for listening to my ramblings ..... hope I haven't offended anybody :)

TURK

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i just wish there was a new posts T4 button and a new posts T5 button.
nicklouse..spot on mate, been thinking this for a while....maybe we should get a poll going on the subject

R

1 - 20 of 54 Posts