VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving 70 odd miles my coolant light was flashing. I looked in my coolant tank after it had cooled down. The coolant was a rusty colour:eek:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Changed a pipe couple of weeks ago and mine was a rusty red colour too. Chucked it back in, topped up and alls well. definately get the system checked out tho if the warning light is coming on - dont want to blow a head gasket.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Hello Matt was the light flashing because the coolant level was low or because the temp had crept up?

Orange water is usually because the coolant used doesnt have adequate anti corrosion properties within it,if you have no leaks and it wasnt overheating you can flushout the cooling system and refill it with a quality coolant usually vw G12++(the pink stuff).
It can be difficult to get rid of all the rusty coolant and can take gallons and gallons of fresh water to flush it out,it is better to remove the thermostat to do this so the whole system is open to flushing T:

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Matt was the light flashing because the coolant level was low or because the temp had crept up?

Orange water is usually because the coolant used doesnt have adequate anti corrosion properties within it,if you have no leaks and it wasnt overheating you can flushout the cooling system and refill it with a quality coolant usually vw G12++(the pink stuff).
It can be difficult to get rid of all the rusty coolant and can take gallons and gallons of fresh water to flush it out,it is better to remove the thermostat to do this so the whole system is open to flushing T:
Evening Steve
The engine temp was fine, after it cooled down.I it did top up a bit and drove 95 miles home with no flashing lights. Think I need to get myself a repair manual

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
53 Posts
If it not happened befor check first for leak. when i first got mine it was losing water slowly and i jumped to the head gasket. checked under the van with the belly pan off after i got it hot and i had two leaks ,one from a hose and one from the common place the water pump. no water was on the floor because the sound proofing in the belly pan was soaking it up. Ihope this is some help.

PS if you do flush the cooling system do check for water leaks after this, as doing this sometimes creates leaks as mine did.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

,,,agree with you on that buddyT: our 206 is covered in sensors parked on a hill one night outside a mates house & coolant light came on when i checked it took a thimble amount to top back up,,it was just due to been on a gradient,,,as you say a ruddy good flush then keep good quality coolant in,,,coolant doesn't just cool its a lube too/keeps the system maintained

1 - 12 of 12 Posts